PDA

View Full Version : Who votes for copper lesions (please see photos)?

joaovieira
11/08/2011, 05:32 PM
According my LFS this clown fish (please see photos) i was about to buy has most probably copper related skin lesions which will respond to freshater baths. I think it is ich. What do you think ?

Reef Bass
11/08/2011, 06:01 PM
Leave the unhealthy fish where it is. If it recovers down the road you can always pick it up then.

tmz
11/08/2011, 06:37 PM
Can't really see it well in the picture. If its just the white fringe on the tail it could be lymphocyctus,a viral infection with no know cure but it's usually not lethal and goes away after a week or so in good water with good nutrition. Some folks scratch it off with teir fingernails if it builds up. Any other symtoms.?

joaovieira
11/08/2011, 07:16 PM
indeed almost all white spots are in the white fringe of tail but at least one white dot is at the tail (not fringe). fish is behaving normally.
So, is this lymphocytosis ?

tmz
11/08/2011, 07:44 PM
Maybe , I'd have to see it up close to tell. Lympocystus can appear on the body too. Absent any other synptoms, like: lethargy, gasping, scratching it is probably not crytocaryon(ich). There are other possibilities. I personally wouldn't buy the fish unless it was clean or very special to me and then I'd be redy to quarantine it and treat it if need be.

tmz
11/08/2011, 07:51 PM
BTW, never heard of copper lesions. Copper toxicity in marine fish usually damages the liver, kidneys ,gills and nervous system. I don't think it presents any lesions.

Beandawg
11/08/2011, 08:09 PM
Can't really see it well in the picture. If its just the white fringe on the tail it could be lymphocyctus,a viral infection with no know cure but it's usually not lethal and goes away after a week or so in good water with good nutrition. Some folks scratch it off with teir fingernails if it builds up. Any other symtoms.?

Months. Everything else is spot-on! :wave:

joaovieira
11/09/2011, 11:22 AM
please more comments...

tmz
11/09/2011, 01:02 PM
I've seen mild cases of lympho clear in days which is what this looks like , but weeks to months is a better time frame to note, generally..
Joavierira. I don't know what other comment you are looking for. I would ask why the fish was exposed to copper(did it need treatment) in light of the lfs statement even though I don't think copper exposure at therpuetic levels is realted to lesions.

joaovieira
11/09/2011, 01:51 PM
I've seen mild cases of lympho clear in days which is what this looks like , but weeks to months is a better time frame to note, generally..
Joavierira. I don't know what other comment you are looking for. I would ask why the fish was exposed to copper(did it need treatment) in light of the lfs statement even though I don't think copper exposure at therpuetic levels is realted to lesions.

Copper was used as prophylactic treatment by lps...

Is lympho a chronic recurrent disease, or is it just 1 episode and not more ?
Thanks

tmz
11/09/2011, 02:22 PM
Never saw it come back once it was all gone and the fish was in a good environment.

joaovieira
11/09/2011, 03:22 PM
I took today a better picture. Please take a look and tell me what do you think.
The diseased clown had white poo. Both clowns have some "seizure"like movements very brief < 1 sec about 1 /5 minutes. What can it be ?

joaovieira
11/14/2011, 09:54 AM
About 1 week after, the fish still behaves normally and the number of white spots remains unchanged. Ate least some of spots look like small lumps (please see photos, first post). No treatment was performed.

So, please give me now your opinions regarding the disease type considering white spots have remained unchanged for about 1 week. Is this lympho?, may still be ich ?

Thanks for the comments

tmz
11/14/2011, 12:49 PM
The spots from ich are wounds from parasites . They would heal over or more would pop up when cysts hatch spewing hundreds more parasites into the water. The fish would have other sypmtoms, like loss of appetite, gasping as parasites hit the gills , scraping and lethargy. So it doesn't sound like ich. However, the second wave of ich is worse than the first.Fish often show improvement and symptoms fade ,only to be swarmed with a week or two. If in the next week spots increase along with noted symptoms, it's probably ich.

To be sure perfoming a tank transfer method would irradicate any ich harbourd by the fish. Do you own this fish?

joaovieira
11/14/2011, 01:10 PM
The spots from ich are wounds from parasites . They would heal over or more would pop up when cysts hatch spewing hundreds more parasites into the water. The fish would have other sypmtoms, like loss of appetite, gasping as parasites hit the gills , scraping and lethargy. So it doesn't sound like ich. However, the second wave of ich is worse than the first.Fish often show improvement and symptoms fade ,only to be swarmed with a week or two. If in the next week spots increase along with noted symptoms, it's probably ich.

To be sure perfoming a tank transfer method would irradicate any ich harbourd by the fish. Do you own this fish?

The diseased clownfish and the other are in my quarentine tank. I will only "own" the clown if i am convinced it is not ich and the lesions fade away.
So, as you told before time will give the diagnosis...

snorvich
11/14/2011, 01:15 PM
You are still going with this same question AGAIN? You are waiting for answers you like? It was not possible to get clownfish without problems?

joaovieira
11/14/2011, 01:59 PM
You are still going with this same question AGAIN? You are waiting for answers you like? It was not possible to get clownfish without problems?

Question is indeed the same - the diagnosis according to your expert opinion. Question was repeated so diagnosis could be rethinked according to what i tought could be an additional help - the fact the lesions remained unchanged for 1 week. As you see i am not waiting for answears i like, but critical, knowledgeable and convincible aswears. Yes it was possible to "transfer" the diseased fish to lps aquarium but the fish would still remain diseased... Anyway i must say i have really learned a lot with you and expect to keep learning :beer:

Amoore311
11/14/2011, 03:26 PM

I don't see what the problem is here. He has the fish in QT, on condition from the Fish Store that it is not in fact harboring ich.

The condition doesn't seem to have improved or worsened, so the OP is checking to see if that fits with the initial diagnosis given....

tmz
11/15/2011, 08:31 AM
To be clear any diagnosis is always the aquarist's to make. All I can do from a picture and description is explain how different diseases would typically effect the fish and make a best guess. First hand observations offer better information.
If I was unsure about whether a fish had ich or not , I'd treat the fish and it's tank mates in qt with the tank transfer method, ie move them to a new tank with clean surfaces and water every 3 days for a total of 4 moves.

Glad you are quarantining .