PDA

View Full Version : Question about adding coral later

Carwin
11/08/2011, 08:23 PM
Hi folks,

I'm in the midst of planning a change over to a reef tank. I currently have a 90 gallon FW tank. The start-up costs of going to SW are frankly tough to swallow.

I wonder if one approach might not be a gradual one to reduce the pain. So here's my question. Since the lights are one of the greatest costs in this process (even if I go DIY) and the coral need the lights, could I start my tank in Dec or Jan as a fish only SW tank with LR in there and then say add the lights in the summer (to allow for cash flow, etc) and then start corals?

Another way of asking this is to say: can I put reef friendly fish in my tank but not have corals? I have plenty of lace-rock in my current cichlid tank so the rock will be there and I will buy some LR to help accelerate that process.

Would this work? Or do the fish I would buy for a reef tank really need the corals to be there from the outset?

Thanks, Ed

fredg89
11/08/2011, 09:16 PM
Yes, that is perfectly fine. Now I'm not too sure on the lace rock. If I were you I would just buy base rock and go and buy a LR or 2.

edit: reef safe fish don't necessarily need corals to live. Being reef safe or not mainly determines whether the fish will nip or eat corals. With that said, having corals does make the aquarium a little bit more like home...

nlgill13
11/08/2011, 09:27 PM
this should work fine....my one question is what kind of lights are you running now? Fish don't need the same amount of light to survive like corals do but they will need some sort of light...plus you will want to see them