PDA

View Full Version : Dragonface Pipefish

Bman10000
11/10/2011, 03:28 PM
So I'm planning on getting a pair of dragonfaces soon. Any feedback?

NatureNerd
11/10/2011, 04:48 PM
So I'm planning on getting a pair of dragonfaces soon. Any feedback?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/JJohn_photos/DFPFonUndata.jpg

Here is mine. Not a great picture, but it is a great fish.

Okay, so here is the bad news: They often refuse to eat anything but live pods. My first one did occasionally eat cyclopeeze (defrosted and squirted in front of him with all flow turned off) but my current one does not. They can only thrive in a fairly large tank with a huge number of pods. If you have any other fish that eats pods, the population may not be able to handle a pipe too. Lots of live rock, not an ultra-low nutrient setup, a fuge or equivalent, and no competition for pods, if you have that, they are wonderful additions.

Allmost
11/10/2011, 04:55 PM
I have a pair in my 200G as well
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j416/bigray1002/IMG-20110902-00852.jpg

great and very interesting fish, but as stated above, they eat pods, and cyclopeze occasionally. mine takes cyclopeze, but not all the time ! it has to flow right in front of him ...

Bman10000
11/12/2011, 06:49 PM
Well actually im trading my 2 banded pipefish in for them. I hatch a whole wack of brines at a time and grow them out in a 10 gallon tank, i feed them sweet potato, and pea baby food. Its like steroids for them. Yours are beautiful though! Are they a pair?

small alien
11/29/2011, 12:11 PM
Oh my. Why would you get rid of two healthy pipes?

nonimmigrant
12/15/2011, 08:00 AM
Oh my. Why would you get rid of two healthy pipes?

totally agree here! I've three orange banded and three dragon faces in the SPS tank, but I'd never be able to give up one for the other. My DF's, like all comments above, eat nothing but pods. They've been in for about 18 months.

I also add pods to the tank every 6 months or so when I can get them here in China - seems to be working fine with respect to having an ample population for the pipes.