PDA

View Full Version : BioCube vs. BioCube HQI

BillyReef
11/11/2011, 11:38 AM
Can anyone with experience using both provide some comparisons or point out the differences?

I know the lighting is more intense on an HQI, but I would likely retrofit to LED at some point in the future so that's not really an issue.

BillyReef
11/11/2011, 11:41 AM
Does the regular BioCube have a clear section in the back for a fuge light?

ange062
11/11/2011, 11:52 AM
My 2c

Power Compact: Cheaper, low light corals only
HQI: Can grow anything, better color spectrum, more heat (probably need a chiller or at least cooling fans)

If you plan to retrofit LED, have you considered just starting with a tank like the JBJ NC28 Advanced LED?

BillyReef
11/11/2011, 12:03 PM
I like the idea of being able to keep anything with the HQI, but I really don't want to invest in a chiller for such a small system.

I didn't consider the JBJ only because I recall reading some negative comments about them, but I'll take a look.

Austinchap
11/11/2011, 09:35 PM
My house stays at 72 and my tank stays at 78 with the lights on then my heater kicks on for at night. If my house goes up to 74-75 my tank goes to 82+
So depending on ur house temp, you won't need a chiller for the HQI. A small fan would help with ur tank temp as mentioned above.

The light is very bright. Most corals I've got I had to run layers of parchment paper on the glass to get them used to it but like everything patience pays off with amazing growth.

Harley20
11/12/2011, 07:30 PM
My opinion:

I just purchased the new BC with the regular lighting. Although I am new to this I did a lot of research to try to figure things out. I was told by many that in most cases if you go with the HQI you will need a chiller. Some (like above) have had succes without but most people told me they needed it. If you dont mind that you cant keep all corals and clams then the regular cube will work fine for you and you can add LEDs later.

I liked the JBJ tank better but didnt like the stand. I was going to buy the JBJ tank and BC stand but it didnt fit correctly and I didnt have anything other to use for a stand. I think with either JBJ or BC you will be fine but if you want the LEDs to begin go with the JBJ.

My tank does have the window for the ref in the back.

I purchased from Marine Depot and found them to have a great price and delivered right to my door.

BillyReef
11/15/2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I think I'm going to go with the regular BC for now.

Harley, did you get the 14 or 29 gallon?

Hextall
11/15/2011, 01:48 PM
One thing to think about... if you are definitely thinking about getting LEDs in the future, then your options are pretty limited with the regular Biocube for retrofit kits that'll fit up in the hood. With the HQI hood, you can get pendant LED fixtures and still have the hood.

I have the regular BC, and would like to get one of the fancy LEDs like the Ecotech or AI, however they will not work with my hood. Therefore, I pretty much have one option:the retrofit kit from RapidLED (besides maybe figuring out how to attach a non-specified heatsink to the underside of the hood).

I purchased the regular BC basically because of cost, but there are other issues that would have needed addressing with the HQI that I just didn't want to deal with (higher cost to run, heat) while I was starting out.

BillyReef
11/15/2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks Hex...I have a hard time swallowing the HQI also. Along with the increased running costs, you have the additional heat which may necessitate a chiller (which in turns increases your running costs even more)...it just seems like a losing battle. I'm really happy to see LEDs start to mature in this hobby.

I want to achieve some success before moving on to a more complex and expensive system, so I'll just have to hold off on the more sensitive animals until that happens.

Austinchap
11/15/2011, 04:16 PM
It was a no brainer for me. I waited for a sale and got the HQI for $479 with the stand. black Friday is coming up... Ask ur LFS if they are doing a sale or check with ur favorite online stores.

Harley20
11/16/2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I think I'm going to go with the regular BC for now.

Harley, did you get the 14 or 29 gallon?

I got the 29. It was like 350 with the stand delivered to my door. I dont think you can go wrong with either of them. Comes down to money and what you want to be able to keep in the tank. Good luck

BlueCorn
11/16/2011, 05:34 PM
We've got the HQI and love it. No chiller, but we do have a small fan on a Ranco controller so it's automatic.

ange062
11/16/2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks Hex...I have a hard time swallowing the HQI also. Along with the increased running costs, you have the additional heat which may necessitate a chiller (which in turns increases your running costs even more)...it just seems like a losing battle. I'm really happy to see LEDs start to mature in this hobby.

I want to achieve some success before moving on to a more complex and expensive system, so I'll just have to hold off on the more sensitive animals until that happens.

Extra expense of the hardware, yes is a cost adder. Semi-necessity for a chiller, yes a cost adder. But do the math on the "increased running cost" of additional electricity and it's almost nothing a month. Just my 2c.

BillyReef
11/17/2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone. You make a good point Ange, the cost would likely be negligible.

I think I'm just suffering from a slight case of paralysis by analysis!

ryeguyy84
11/17/2011, 08:43 PM
I run my hqi without the glass top and I have 0 heat issues. Although I do use about 1/2 of a gallon a day in topoff