PDA

View Full Version : DIY Base Rock.... Aragocrete?

Psychotrshman
11/11/2011, 12:40 PM
I've been reading about this the last few days and and its got me curious. It seems like if you have the patience, this is a lot cheaper. Everything points me towards GARF.ORG for everything I need to know, but I can't find nothing there about it.

Any one ever make it? How would you make it porous like the store bought stuff? Anyone have some pics of what it looks like? I love the look of live rock bought at the store, but its expensive up here in the Nati. Averaging around $9.00/lb. Does this look anything like the store bought kind? Any info is greatly appreciated.

der_wille_zur_macht
11/11/2011, 12:44 PM
With respect, I would say that the GARF approach is perhaps not exactly like what many people do these days for DIY rock. They definitely helped get the concept off the ground but people have added/changed procedures over time. Do some searching on here and you'll find very many long and detailed threads:

aragocrete
MMLR
DIY rock
and so on

I've made a few hundred pounds of it. Once you get the process down, it's fun. There is definitely a "creative" aspect to it. You ask if it looks anything like store bought rock - the thing is, the DIY rock looks like however you make it look. You're in control. If you want it to have a particular look, you can adjust your mix or technique to get that look.

In terms of cost, it can definitely be cheaper than some store bought rock, but it takes a fair amount of time. In the end, I bet most people who like making rock are doing it because they like the process, or they like the sense of control over the end product, not because of cost savings.

WaVe RiDeR
12/13/2011, 08:29 PM
the curing process is what people have a hard time understanding.

KafudaFish
12/13/2011, 08:46 PM
Also it allows you to make a structure specific to what you want it to look like vs. trying to make a bunch of rock "fit".

I have made it too and have always enjoyed the process. My nano is 99% DIY rock and it looks like the real thing.

If you do not want to wait people also use pond foam to make structures. There is a thread on that in the DIY forum as well.

uncleof6
12/13/2011, 09:01 PM
I have been making Aragocrete rock for a rather long time. I have never had issues with curing, or any other issues.

I use the original recipe, as first published by GARF. I suspect that most curing issues that many have, are due to the materials they use. Often "alternate" materials are explored due to the relative high cost of Aragonite, or the difficulty in finding a suitable concrete to use.

Another thing i have noticed, leading to the use of such things as rock salt, is a bit of misunderstanding the meaning of porus as opposed to a rock with big holes in it.

Anyway, GARF has a lot of information, and some alternate recipes. The problem with GARF, is the navigation is not that user friendly, in terms of finding specific things. It is therefore difficult at times to find what you are looking for.

http://www.garf.org/class.html

BaronVonDango
12/14/2011, 01:11 AM
I have already made 70 lbs for my tank about 6 months ago, It started gray and now its brown, green, and red.
I worked @ a pet store and bought about 10lbs of their stuff to seed it.

The least amount of concrete possible makes the best rocks.
You can mix what ever aquarium safe substance you want in the mix for different textures.
Epson salt is what i use when I want pourous Rock salt is great if you use it the right way...its better if you want tube like caves just poke them down into the rock and if you find some straight tube worms to flop in there or make them large enough to stick frag plugs in them.

Saved me about 400 bucks on rock @ $6/LB and me needing 130 LBS. I was a sculpture major in college so I really enjoyed it. My entire tank is a work of art to me..Im not good about patience though, my Professors taught me to speed draw with my eyes closed

I used regular quickrete...crushed coral, some aragonite sand, clam shells, even a piece of rubber hose..

My Lunar wrasses favorite place to sleep is in the aragocrete I made in the same cave as a Feather duster who seems to enjoy the company.