PDA

View Full Version : Sodium Chloride

Reef Chem
11/12/2011, 02:37 PM
Not sure if this is an odd question, but I did a lot of online research and could not find a good answer. I supplement calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate about once a week on a low-mid demand tank. I am curious if adding these supplements (or any supplement for that matter) over time will have an impact on the balance and/or ratio of sodium and chloride ions?

SoLiD
11/12/2011, 02:48 PM
Considering that both Calcium and Alkalinity Supplements are used up by stoney corals in our reef tanks, I'd have to say "No". FYI many many hobbyists have been dosing this 2-Part method in controlled quantities for years without ill effects to our reef systems. Something would have come out if it would have caused anything negative.

Bryan
11/12/2011, 04:17 PM
Your salinity will rise over time so yes. Randy Holmes outlines this very point in the DIY guide

disc1
11/12/2011, 04:48 PM
Sodium and chloride are the two most common ions in seawater by a large margin. The amount you are adding will not affect the balance in a noticeable way, but will cause a slight rise in salinity over time. All you have to do is check the salinity numbers and make up a your change water a little short every now and then. It is a very very slow effect, nothing you have to think about every day.

Reef Chem
11/12/2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was just curious since they are the two most abundant ions yet I don't hear much about them as far as testing or balance.