PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize me???

pookstreet
11/12/2011, 03:44 PM
Got this Acro a handful of years ago. I had my tank issues about 2 years ago and over the course of about a year, lost almost 80% of my collection. This is one of the survivors but it was reduced to a couple of small patches. It has since grown back nicely, as can be seen below with the 2 sets of upright branches. The tips are intense purple and the body is somewhat of a cream colored. Can't remember where or who I got it from. Any help would be appreciated.

Straight down with the stock lense
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/pookstreet/300G/IMG_3262.jpg

Straingt down with the 100mm macro
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/pookstreet/300G/IMG_2412.jpg

Shot with the 100mm macro at about 45 degrees from the top
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/pookstreet/300G/IMG_2370.jpg

returnofsid
11/12/2011, 07:28 PM
Acropora valida or Acropora nana. I'm leaning towards A. valida

gon08
11/12/2011, 09:07 PM
+1 Valida

Borchers
11/12/2011, 11:48 PM
That's an absolutely beautiful colony of Acro Validia. Man the green and purple are intense!

acroholicreefer
11/13/2011, 06:55 AM
That is some really soft tissue for a valida or nana. Not to mention the large axial corallites.

Frick
11/14/2011, 01:22 PM
That is some really soft tissue for a valida or nana. Not to mention the large axial corallites.

How can you tell how soft it is by looking at it. Both species of Valida and Nana will develop axial and radial corlites.
http://sdmas.com/corals/50.php
http://sdmas.com/corals/77.php

BLKTANG
11/14/2011, 01:33 PM
Isnt that a Deswalii from Reffer Madness back in the day?

pookstreet
11/14/2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I was kinda leaning towards A. valida but wasn't so sure. Just wished there was some way to confirm.

What do you mean by soft tissue?

Isnt that a Deswalii from Reffer Madness back in the day?

Not sure. I know I've never bought anything directly from Reefer Madness tho. And I am not so sure that this is an A. desalwii since the corallites on this one are "fatter" than those typically seen on A. desalwii.

acroholicreefer
11/15/2011, 06:45 PM
How can you tell how soft it is by looking at it. Both species of Valida and Nana will develop axial and radial corlites.

I must be the only one that can then. Can you explain why you think it is a Valida or a Nana besides the coloration?

Western_reefer
11/15/2011, 11:32 PM
Wow!! The coral/coloration is insane!! :eek1:

Frick
11/17/2011, 01:46 PM
I must be the only one that can then. Can you explain why you think it is a Valida or a Nana besides the coloration?

Well to ask a more specific question, how are you able to tell by looking at a picture how soft an acros tissue is? I would figure the tissues of Acropora are all about the same density, at least by appearance. Where you referring to the coral as a whole, because I am certain it is a hard coral.

My guess on the ID of this coral is based on the reference to the links i originally provided; " Radial corallites are long, tubular and appressed." and "Colonies are compact clumps of long, non-tapering, straight, equidistant branchlets radiating from a solid base." These were from the A. Nana page which i am leaning more toward. Plus the OP mentioned "I had my tank issues about 2 years ago and over the course of about a year, lost almost 80% of my collection. This is one of the survivors but it was reduced to a couple of small patches." and in my experience A.Nana is a hardy acro and would be the survivor. :bum:

acroholicreefer
11/17/2011, 04:38 PM
Well to ask a more specific question, how are you able to tell by looking at a picture how soft an acros tissue is? I would figure the tissues of Acropora are all about the same density, at least by appearance. Where you referring to the coral as a whole, because I am certain it is a hard coral.

My guess on the ID of this coral is based on the reference to the links i originally provided; " Radial corallites are long, tubular and appressed." and "Colonies are compact clumps of long, non-tapering, straight, equidistant branchlets radiating from a solid base." These were from the A. Nana page which i am leaning more toward. Plus the OP mentioned "I had my tank issues about 2 years ago and over the course of about a year, lost almost 80% of my collection. This is one of the survivors but it was reduced to a couple of small patches." and in my experience A.Nana is a hardy acro and would be the survivor. :bum:

To answer your first question, soft tissue is the same as smooth tissue. I was not calling it a soft coral and I appologize if it sounded like I was. IMO, those corallites are not tubular. See how the tissue grows over the tip of the axial corallite. This is a common trend for smooth tissue acros. It is not fair to compare how compact a wild acro is vs one grown in capticity since the growth structure is going to vary. I do agree with you about this one being a survivor an A. Nana being a hardy species but I have seen smooth tissue acros survive some nasty tank issues. There are too many variables to make that determination.