PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water reef cycling

EHGobie
11/13/2011, 04:46 PM
When I set up my reef tank I noticed that the water kept evaporating. Not knowing that the salt does not evapoate. I had water tested and my salt level was like the dead sea. So i invested in a salt water tester and the readings were still bad. Effecting the cycle the nitrates could not break down to nitrites. Mean while i still had an engineer eel in there and he is still fine. So i went to the pet store and bought a live rock and a bottle of biospira, i wated two weeks and brought the water back in to be tested and the salt was great but have not finished full cycle. So i got more live rock, 3 sand sifter snails, and 2 hermet crabs hoping one would die for some bactiria but its ben 3 days and no inverts have died.

Is there any way to get cycle to speed up. If you have any suggestions for me please let me know. I cant wait to by some fish.

Thanks in advance!

rizon25
11/13/2011, 05:01 PM
I used live sand and dry rock in my tank and it took me 4 weeks before the ammonia and nitrite levels registered at zero. Keep testing it every week and make sure to keep the lights off. It'll happen, you just need to wait it out and let the bacteria colonize.

Agu
11/13/2011, 07:03 PM
First of all be glad the inverts didn't die.

Second may I suggest you get a good reefkeeping book or two and read them cover to cover, twice?

My suggestions are, Natural Reef Aquariums (http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Reef-Aquariums-Simplified-Approaches/dp/1890087009) or The Conscientious Marine Aquarist (http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Professional/dp/1890087998/ref=pd_sim_b_2/175-2573896-0577566). The books aren't cheap but they're cheaper than what it'll cost you without the knowledge you need to be successful in the hobby.

jmo,fwiw...

EHGobie
11/14/2011, 08:17 PM
thanks a lot. i have a book now i'm starting. and learning a lot here.
I'm trying to be patient, but there was so much time spent waiting with the salt levels so high- i'mgoing on like 3 months+. wish i knew about the meter and this site sooner.

thank you again!

crankbait
11/14/2011, 08:27 PM
Dr tims one and only. Just add a bottle and add the free amonia. You can cycle really fast

EHGobie
11/15/2011, 03:16 PM
Sorry im new to the hobbie so anyway whats the bottle and free amonia. is it a bought item.

darthparj
11/15/2011, 04:46 PM
I used Dr Tim's when setting up my tank and it works! placed in the night before bought a couple of clownfish and had zero ammonia and very low nitrates since.

marrstarr
11/15/2011, 05:14 PM
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Take your time do it right and you will have a healthy system. You need to educate yourself as such as possible while you wait for the cycle to complete. If you had read a book first you could have avoided replacing evaporated water with salt water.