PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a new house, How to move tank!!

DeepSeaBeauti
11/14/2011, 08:41 AM
I'm going to be moving to a new house in about 3 weeks or so. I have a 2 year old established reef tank. How to I go about moving my 125g tank with all the live stock? Ive got a 55g tank that I can probably temp set up. Or I was thinking of buying a 125g RR tank and setting that up, that way the transition is easy and smooth. Is there anything I should start doing now to prep for the move? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

thegrun
11/14/2011, 09:22 AM
I don't see a need for additional tanks to make the move. How far away is the new house? I would use a combination of 5 gallon buckets and Brute trash cans to transport the rock, fish and corals. The sand bed may not be worth the effort to reuse. A two year old sand bed will have a lot of trapped detritus in it that once disturbed could cause problems. You can wash and reuse the sand, but since time is of the essence, I would pre-clean new sand and have it ready for the move. Move as much of the old water as possible, but you will most likely lose 25% of the water. I would be sure to have at least 50 gallons of pre-mixed/heated water on hand for the move to replace lost water. First remove the rocks and corals, and then catch the fish. Next siphon out as much water as possible (don't try and reuse the dirty water near the bottom of the tank). At the new house first place the rock, then the sand and then the fish. Be sure to sucker as many friends/relatives into helping as possible. Good luck!

dakineacct
11/14/2011, 09:51 AM
I agree with thegrun, no need to buy additional tanks. Use temp containers as holding tanks for your current livestock and live rock. Discard exsiting sand, set up tank in new location with new sand. Once the sand storm clears, transfer your livestock. I just did an upgrade and had my livestock in temp containers for about 24 hours with no problem. Make sure you have extra water on hand. Good luck.

moogoomoogoo
11/14/2011, 11:34 AM
And if you have corals, don't make the mistake I did by letting them touch each other. Place them in different conatainers or bags. The fish can remain tigether if they were in the tank together. If its a long distance move, drill a whole in the top of a cooler and use a battery powered air pump. Keep in mind the air temp wil alter the water temp faster than without the airstone.

nrbelk
11/14/2011, 11:58 AM
why discard the sand? Would rinsing the existing sand really well work?

nrbelk
11/14/2011, 12:06 PM
why discard the sand? Would rinsing the existing sand really well work?

DeepSeaBeauti
11/14/2011, 01:29 PM
Well was thinking a new tank was a good idea because I get to finally upgrade to a Reef ready tank with built in overflows, and can get rid of the CPR overflow I run now. Maybe convince the ol laddie to let me get the 300g DD I always wanted!

Ive got a deep sand bed, almost 3-4" in the display. In a 125g tank thats a lot of sand to just through out.

How long should I cycle the tank before adding corals and fish, after it has all settled?

DeepSeaBeauti
11/14/2011, 01:31 PM
Also, what about my sump/refrigum? Its only 30g but should I move it a special way as well?

xraymatt
11/14/2011, 01:34 PM
Moving is a pain in the butt, take it from me...STRAP IT DOWN!!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/xraymatt/tank.jpg

jong11
11/14/2011, 01:38 PM
i just moved my 10 gallon tank. It was a pain in the butt, I can't imagine moving a 125. If you're planning on upgrading to a 125RR, now is the perfect time to do it.
I premixed 15 gallons of SW before the move and ended up using it during the move and WC ther next few days.
I reused my sand, actually I left it in the tank (one of the advantages of having a small tank). The sand was mixed and tossed throughout the move, but I guess I lucked out because I didn't experience any spikes. Next time I move I'm going to either upgrade or buy another tank and start with fresh sand.
Also, be sure to remove your cuc, i suffered some loses to mine during the move.

DeepSeaBeauti
11/14/2011, 01:58 PM
Xraymatt, No jinx please!! lol

Jong11, Im most upset about my garden eel. Finaly in a spot that it loves, now I have to dig out his home.

Toddrtrex
11/14/2011, 02:02 PM
I moved to a new place back in June, I went ahead and bought a new 75 RR (( the old 75 was not RR )), and it was a so much easier. I was able to get it filled with new sand and about half way filled with new salt water. At that point I just moved the rock, livestock, and the other half of the water.

The next week I moved my 40 breeder -- moved the whole thing, existing tank and the like -- it sucked. :)

The week after that I did the same with my 58/65 (( sold the 58 and bought a new 65, both were RR )), after moving the 40 breeder, I wanted the easiest route. Granted, this was a brand new place, and I had already ripped up the carpet on one floor and replace it with bamboo, painted darn near every wall, added buffet wall, and changed out the counter-tops; I was spend and needed the last tank to go smoothly.

Toddrtrex
11/14/2011, 02:04 PM
I moved to a new place back in June, I went ahead and bought a new 75 RR (( the old 75 was not RR )), and it was a so much easier. I was able to get it filled with new sand and about half way filled with new salt water. At that point I just moved the rock, livestock, and the other half of the water.

The next week I moved my 40 breeder -- moved the whole thing, existing tank and the like -- it sucked. :)

The week after that I did the same with my 58/65 (( sold the 58 and bought a new 65, both were RR )), after moving the 40 breeder, I wanted the easiest route. Granted, this was a brand new place, and I had already ripped up the carpet on one floor and replace it with bamboo, painted darn near every wall, added buffet wall, and changed out the counter-tops; I was spend and needed the last tank to go smoothly.

Toddrtrex
11/14/2011, 02:11 PM

Toddrtrex
11/14/2011, 02:18 PM

Toddrtrex
11/14/2011, 02:19 PM
I moved into to a new place back in June, ended up getting 2 new tanks -- moved the 3rd.

The first was my 75, kept the same size, but wanted a RR (( the old tank wasn't, had an HOB overflow )), in addition I wanted a new stand (( the old one wasn't deep enough for a sump, had had the sump next to the tank )). Set up the new 75, with new stand/sump, and put in new/clean sand. Filled it up half way and then did the transfer.

A week later I moved the 40 breeder -- picked up a new stand for that one, and made a new sump. Transferred it over using buckets, rubbermaid bins, and Styrofoam boxes -- it sucked.

Lastly it was time to move the 58 -- used a "new" stand that the 40 breeder used to be on (( was only 5 months old )). Since moving the 75 went so much easier than the 40, I decided to purchase a 65 (( both tanks are/were RR )). I did like the 58 better (( corner overflow, as opposed to off set and no center brace )), but purchasing a new tank made things so much easier.

Granted, this was a brand new place, and I had already ripped up the carpet in the living/dinning room and put in bamboo, painted darn near every wall, added a buffet wall to the kitchen and replace the counter-tops; so at this point I was spent and wanted something to go smoothly.

Toddrtrex
11/14/2011, 02:25 PM
I moved into to a new place back in June, ended up getting 2 new tanks -- moved the 3rd.

The first was my 75, kept the same size, but wanted a RR (( the old tank wasn't, had an HOB overflow )), in addition I wanted a new stand (( the old one wasn't deep enough for a sump, had had the sump next to the tank )). Set up the new 75, with new stand/sump, and put in new/clean sand. Filled it up half way and then did the transfer.

A week later I moved the 40 breeder -- picked up a new stand for that one, and made a new sump. Transferred it over using buckets, rubbermaid bins, and Styrofoam boxes -- it sucked.

Lastly it was time to move the 58 -- used a "new" stand that the 40 breeder used to be on (( was only 5 months old )). Since moving the 75 went so much easier than the 40, I decided to purchase a 65 (( both tanks are/were RR )). I did like the 58 better (( corner overflow, as opposed to off set and no center brace )), but purchasing a new tank made things so much easier.

Granted, this was a brand new place, and I had already ripped up the carpet in the living/dinning room and put in bamboo, painted darn near every wall, added a buffet wall to the kitchen and replace the counter-tops; so at this point I was spent and wanted something to go smoothly.

DeepSeaBeauti
11/14/2011, 02:39 PM
If I can find a new tank, It would make this move so much easier. Dont have to feel rushed into the move.

xraymatt
11/14/2011, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=DeepSeaBeauti;19515335]Xraymatt, No jinx please!! lol QUOTE]

I just did the "no jinx dance" !!
What has worked for me in the past is to set up a large rubbermaid container at the new place a few days before the move. Have it ready to go with saltwater and transfer all of your livestock ahead of time. That way you can take your time taking the tank and equipment down.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/xraymatt/IMG_3228.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/xraymatt/IMG_3229.jpg

Toddrtrex
11/14/2011, 02:51 PM
Double post.

Should add, one thing that really screwed things up was the bamboo floors -- that wasn't in the original plans, so it cost me a week -- the time to let the "wood" acclimate and be installed. I had "only" a month to get everything done.

Toddrtrex
11/14/2011, 02:56 PM
If I can find a new tank, It would make this move so much easier. Dont have to feel rushed into the move.

Not feeling rushed during any move makes a huge difference. Plus, if your current tank isn't RR and you want to buy a RR one, think that is a big improvement, and worth the money.

DeepSeaBeauti
11/14/2011, 03:12 PM
rubbermaid's are a great idea. Like I said I have my old 55 still (was going to make it my sump) If I have to I could set it up temp, then move the 125 and wait for it to settle back down.