PDA

View Full Version : How long can I keep a 5 gallons bucket of BRS Calcium Chloride?

BHD
11/14/2011, 09:29 AM
Hello everyone,

My tank is only a 75 gallons and I don't use that much Calcium Chloride but since I am going to buy some BRS Calcium Chloride, I was wondering if I can just buy the 5 gallons bucket and save a few dollars. My question is whether or not I can keep that 5 gallons bucket for a year or two year before they go bad or change their property because of the air?? I will try to best to keep them airtight after each time I open them. So what do you guys think? Should I buy that big bucket to save a couple dollars (and take the risk that they might go bad after keeping them for more than a year) or just buy a 1 gallons?

Thanks

disc1
11/14/2011, 09:46 AM
That bucket of Calcium chloride will last for eons if you keep it dry. A lot longer than you or the tank will that's for sure.

David Grigor
11/14/2011, 10:04 AM
it will last long after your dead and buried........

BHD
11/14/2011, 10:20 AM
so provided that I can keep it dry, then the chemical inside or its potent won't change at all? It will raise calcium just fine after I keep it for couple years?

Thanks everyone.

disc1
11/14/2011, 11:03 AM
Absolutely. If you keep the lid on it and keep it dry a reefer 1000 years from now would be able to use it to raise calcium just like new.

richfavinger
11/14/2011, 04:23 PM
I'd do a little math as to what you use to make your solutions, and how much solution your using now. Should give you an idea of how long the bucket will last. I have a 2g bucket that is still 80% full... The again, since it's winter coming ya could always use the extra on your driveway for ice removal! :D

Like all the dry good, like carbon, calcium, magnesium ect. As long as they are DRY and sealed... They will last for ever!

GTR
11/14/2011, 05:07 PM
Spill a little on the floor and it'll turn to a liquid. :lol: