PDA

View Full Version : acclimating a maxima clam

KorL
11/14/2011, 04:59 PM
Is it recommended to dip a maxima clam while acclimating before adding to the display tank? If so, what do you use as dip? Or do you just recommend scrubbing the clam with a brush prior to adding to the tank to avoid any unwanted hitchikers. Thanks for any advice.

BeanMachine
11/14/2011, 05:10 PM
Is it recommended to dip a maxima clam while acclimating before adding to the display tank? If so, what do you use as dip? Or do you just recommend scrubbing the clam with a brush prior to adding to the tank to avoid any unwanted hitchikers. Thanks for any advice.

Clams are one animal I don't normally dip... I don't think they'll do too well. Yeah just use a brush and scrub the base and sides of the shell. Drip acclimation is probably best to your tanks parameters.

Another tip I've learned is when you remove the clam from the water, hold it upside down with the mantle facing downwards to avoid air pockets...

toshiba
11/14/2011, 11:44 PM
I like to scrub them so there are no snails on them and shake them around a little bit in the water to release air pockets. No dipping.

moliken
11/15/2011, 06:12 AM
NO DIPPING!
i believe this is false and dangerous
Another tip I've learned is when you remove the clam from the water, hold it upside down with the mantle facing downwards to avoid air pockets...
holding a clam upside down is something i'd never do. hold them sideways and when returning them to the dt, rotate them in all direx to remove any air. their mantle muscles and not made for being upside down, and i doubt that position prevents air bubbles. a decent sized clam can easily be hurt in that position out of water.