PDA

View Full Version : New Reefer; Time to introcuce myself

GhostRider58
11/14/2011, 08:06 PM
Hello All,

My name is Tom and I have been lurking around this forum for a few months and gathering equipment as I go. I have wanted a reef tank for years. My set up is summarized in my sig. I bought 45 lbs of Premium Fiji live rock from live aquaria about 10 days ago. I have been cycling it in a rubbermaid tub with 100% water changes every 4 days (35 ppt, ~80 deg F and in the dark). The rock looks pretty good. I tested for ammonia just before today's water change and it was undetectable. I guess I need to test for nitrates at some point. I will still let it continue to cycle for a few more weeks. I was thinking of putting a shop light over the tub in a week or so to jump start the coralline. I know the key to this hobby (read obsession) is to go slow, so I won't add any livestock until after Christmas (except maybe a CUC to help manage the inevitable algae blooms). I was thinking of not adding any fish, but I might weaken at some point, but I will consult the proper thread before I do ( that most certainly won't be until next year).

I really don't have any questions yet, but I just wanted to introduce myself to you all. This forum has an incredible amount of information in it. I will keep reading and let you know when I have an issue. Sorry for being long winded.

Thank you all in advance!
Tom

GhostRider58
11/14/2011, 08:13 PM
Sorry, the signature thing didn't work.

I have a standard 29 gal glass tank with a Red Sea Prizm deluxe skimmer, no sump and am using Reef Crystals. Yes, I did get a refractometer and I have a good pH probe; along with several test kits. I haven't put anything in the tank yet except the sand (1.5 to 2") and 3/4 full of salt water. I am trying to let the milk settle.
I will ahve to try to figure out what happened to my sig.

Tom

zigzag1
11/14/2011, 11:18 PM
You shouldn't be doing water changes during your cycling phase. It will delay the proper establishment of bacterial populations. When your cycle is complete and ammonia and nitrite drop to zero, then do a big water change to reduce nitrate if necessary. Test a few days later and if levels are good, add a few snails. Then a week or two later you can add a fish. Don't burn yourself out on water changes now, there is plenty of time for that later. JMTC & GL!

And, welcome to Reef Central!

rizon25
11/14/2011, 11:28 PM
Welcome! I'm new to reefing as well and I have to say, it is a very expensive hobby to start brand new. However, reading through these forums has helped me minimize costly mistakes. It's good that you are reading up on these forums and learning as much as you can, keep it up. Also, keep the lights off during the cycle, it helped minimize algae blooms. However, after I had the tank cycled and started turning the lights on, I eventually developed the diatoms and other algae blooms. Post pics too!