PDA

View Full Version : New Fangled Drain Pipes

pledosophy
11/15/2011, 12:29 AM
I picked up a 120g used and it came with two of these

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/pledosophy/2011-11-14184106.jpg

The guy I got it from said the tank was silent, but they are very loud for me. Is there a trick or should I just go back to the duroso's?

Thanks
Running two of these on my system with an Eheim 1262 return pump.

rogermccray
11/15/2011, 06:26 AM
I have these pipes and was able to make them pretty silent, my problem was the water going into the sump and not the pipes themselves.

olsinc
11/15/2011, 07:00 AM
I picked up a 120g used and it came with two of these

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/pledosophy/2011-11-14184106.jpg

The guy I got it from said the tank was silent, but they are very loud for me. Is there a trick or should I just go back to the duroso's?

Thanks
Running two of these on my system with an Eheim 1262 return pump.

That Pipe sure does look nasty. I would first sanitize it or just build a new one. You really don't want anything like that coming in contact with a new tank setup. Just a thought.

Amoore311
11/15/2011, 07:49 AM
That is a durso pipe lol.

What noise are you getting? Gurgling? Flushing? Water splashing into the sump?

I had a 180 with dual overflows and the same adjustable dursos you have pictured here. The tank was 4ft from my bed (yes the sump was under the tank). Goes to show how quiet you can get them haha.

mrabolli
11/15/2011, 08:14 AM
if its loud for you thats because it has alot of water flowing through it. I think one of the takeaways from herbie and beananimals thread on silent setups was that durso's are only quiet when handling low flow.

pledosophy
11/15/2011, 12:49 PM
That is a durso pipe lol.

What noise are you getting? Gurgling? Flushing? Water splashing into the sump?

I had a 180 with dual overflows and the same adjustable dursos you have pictured here. The tank was 4ft from my bed (yes the sump was under the tank). Goes to show how quiet you can get them haha.

Look closer, it's a bit different then a standard duroso taht I have experience with.

The main noise sounds like air in the pipes and is coming from the sump

Lorenz725
11/15/2011, 12:57 PM
I have 2 of the same thing in my 150. I just set it up and have a basement sump and still playing around with it. I am getting a lot of gurgling in mine till I cute back the flow into the tank. But when i do that it sounds like I have a waterfall in my dining room. I would like to hear some more ideas about how to adjust them better.

Amoore311
11/15/2011, 01:00 PM
Nah those are regular old durso pipes. They are just height adjustable. All Glass, and other companies I'm sure, market those exact pipes as "Megaflow" overflow systems.

That's neither here nor there though. Let's try and get these things quieted down for you.

Are the drains submerged in the tank at all? What return pump, and GPH are you running through your drains?

If the drains are submerged to far, air will build up until the bubble gets big enough that it forces it's way out.

If you have any spare airline tubing feed it down the pipe through that circular hole you see in your durso pipe. Feed the airline tubing slowly down the pipe until the noise disappears. With this method you are basically allowing the trapped air to escape out the airline tubing silently, instead of under the water. This is the method I used to silence the overflows in my 180.

If you are running a TON of flow through the sump, it's going to be loud regardless unfortunately.

Amoore311
11/15/2011, 01:02 PM
Nah those are regular old durso pipes. They are just height adjustable. All Glass, and other companies I'm sure, market those exact pipes as "Megaflow Tanks".

That's neither here nor there though. Let's try and get these things quieted down for you.

Are the drains submerged in the tank at all? What return pump, and GPH are you running through your drains?

If the drains are submerged to far, air will build up until the bubble gets big enough that it forces it's way out.

If you have any spare airline tubing feed it down the pipe through that circular hole you see in your durso pipe. Feed the airline tubing slowly down the pipe until the noise disappears. With this method you are basically allowing the trapped air to escape out the airline tubing silently, instead of under the water. This is the method I used to silence the overflows in my 180.

If you are running a TON of flow through the sump, it's going to be loud regardless unfortunately.

Lorenz725
11/15/2011, 01:04 PM
Does the height adjustment on them in the overflows have anything to do with making them more quite?

rogermccray
11/15/2011, 01:49 PM
If you put them higher up you get less noise when the water overflows into the overflow chamber, I have mine all the way up.

Palting
11/15/2011, 03:20 PM
Yup, I second Ammore's post. That a regular Durso pipe, one made by Aqueon/AGA. That's what I have in my 110 gal RR AGA tank.

Several things influence noise with this set-up.

First is flow. These pipes have a rated max capacity of 700 gph, but they make a ton of noise and bubbles at that rate. They usually do best around 500-600 gph per overflow. Your 1262 puts out about 800 gph with a 4 foot head, so you'll need to throttle it back.

Next, as mentioned above is the height. If you have it too low, the water coming over the teeth of the overflow box falls down a good distance making a waterfall sound. Position the elbow high enough so that the water level in the oveflow box is only 1/4" or less lower than the water level in the main tank.

Then there's the whistle. That little nipple is an anti-siphon, and it can be too small and whistle. I drilled mine out and stuck a rigid hose down several inches into the pipe. No more whistling, no gurgling either.

That's how I got mine relatively quiet. If it's still too noisy for you, then junk the thing and go for a Herbie/Beanimal sytem

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw that you have two of those pipes. So your rated total capacity is 1400, more than adequate for you 1262.

richfavinger
11/15/2011, 07:35 PM
I've been considering a 90g RR... Is their a better way to set it up other then the Durso? Assuming I don't custom drill the tank?

TruReef
11/15/2011, 07:43 PM
I've been considering a 90g RR... Is their a better way to set it up other then the Durso? Assuming I don't custom drill the tank?

Herbie the drain & run return over the back.

richfavinger
11/15/2011, 09:51 PM
TruReef, thats what I was thinking :D
As I recall the drain's on RR systems are 1" and returns are 3/4".. So use the drain but as a Herbie and use the 3/4" as the safety. And return over the side with a J tube...

TexanReef
11/15/2011, 10:21 PM
I have those exact drains on my 120 and it is dead silent with an Ehime 1262.

Palting gave good advice. You can make those work well.

There are some adjustments made; however. The holes in the sides of the pipe have been closed with silicone, a tube has been run from the the top to open the apature of that little hole a bit and anti-siphon holes added to the returns and run via tubing into the overflow above the water line.