PDA

View Full Version : Bio-Pellets killing Coraline?

Spicer
11/15/2011, 07:01 PM
Yep!

Thats how it seems, amazing coraline before adding the biopellets, now, 3 days later (water hazy for 24hours now, expected 3-4 days), but it seems as if my coraline is dying off.

ALL OF IT, and theres a ton!

Im going to get out and get a Mag test 2moro and check that out, any other ideas?

Ps: Using Pro-Bio-Pellets by Vertex.

willybub
11/15/2011, 07:06 PM
i have seen the opposite

Spicer
11/15/2011, 07:24 PM
i have seen the opposite

Did you have your calc reactor before adding the biopellets?

bertoni
11/15/2011, 11:25 PM
What was the phosphate level before the bio-pellets were added? If it was low already, the bio-pellets might be able to starve the coralline, but three days seem too short a period of time.

Spar
06/24/2012, 03:03 PM
hmm... just made the same post, pretty much. wondering if i am seeing a connection also. biopellets might be starving my coralline.

have you added back biopellets since getting good coralline growth? any notice on effect?

i run a refugium also, so maybe the 2x stripping of NO3 and PO4 isn't a good thing if there isn't enough sources of the two being added back in to the water.

ReLPSef
06/24/2012, 09:18 PM
My 6 month old tank had dark purple coraline popping up all over the place. Since running pellets for the last 3 months, tadaw! Almost all gone and no new growth. Pretty sure there is a connection. I've up'd my feeding for corals, but that hasn't helped the coraline. Any suggestions out there?

Aquarist007
06/24/2012, 09:34 PM
My 6 month old tank had dark purple coraline popping up all over the place. Since running pellets for the last 3 months, tadaw! Almost all gone and no new growth. Pretty sure there is a connection. I've up'd my feeding for corals, but that hasn't helped the coraline. Any suggestions out there?

Although nitrate and phosphate reduction is one of the prime reason for running the pellets another key reason is to be able to feed more to your tank making it a much more nutrient rich environment for corals.
Also it allows us to have more fish then we would normally in a system without the benifits of the bacteria from biopellets(or carbon dosing)\
I have found that adding more nutrients helps keep corraline and forms of macro alagae such as cheto compensated for the nutrients consumed by the bacteria produced by the added carbon dosing.
Of course there is a balance that one has to maintain in these levels which is by trial and error over a few months after starting carbon dosing.