PDA

View Full Version : New mimic tang-qt treatment

clugo
11/15/2011, 08:24 PM
Just got a mimic tang whose been in my qt for a few days now. He's eating and seems to be doing well.

Just wondering what I should treat him with? I want to be proactive. I have the following medications:

Erythromycin
PraziPro
Cupramine

What do you think?

MrTuskfish
11/16/2011, 09:31 AM
Lots of opinions in this area. I (and many others) use cupramine and PP on all new fish in QT, lots of folks don't. PP shouldn't be used at the same time as Cupramine; it decreases the effectiveness of the PP. I treat most fish at a lower level than suggested on the Cupramine bottle; usually .35ppm. Be sure you have a Salifert (preferred, IMO) or SeaChem copper test kit and never use any ammonia neutralizing products (Prime, Am-Quel, etc. ) with Cupramine. It is completely effective ad easier on the fish at that level. I also take at least 3 days to get the Cu to the max level and keep them in the Cu for 4 weeks. If he stops eating for more than a day, back off the Cu; loss of appetite is the 1st sign of a Cu reaction. I don't like to use an antibiotic unless I see a reason; like people, I think fish can develop resistance to antibiotics. here's everything you need to know about cupramine, the FAQ are very good: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Cupramine.html

clugo
11/16/2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the great info.

So you use cupramine for 4 wks straight? Do you then put him in your DT or do you start a treatment of PP?

While treating, I'm assuming I should remove all carbon and biobacteria material like bioballs?

MrTuskfish
11/16/2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the great info.

So you use cupramine for 4 wks straight? Do you then put him in your DT or do you start a treatment of PP?

While treating, I'm assuming I should remove all carbon and biobacteria material like bioballs?

First; I acclimate and get them eating. Then copper, remove copper, then PP. They are in QT at least 8-10 weeks total. Ich (certainly not the only, or even the main, reason to use a QT) can take this long to show itself on the fish. If ich does appear, they are in QT at least 4 weeks after the spots are gone. The ich stickies at the top of the disease forum, really explain the long ich life-cycle.

tonypittman
11/26/2012, 08:17 AM
First; I acclimate and get them eating. Then copper, remove copper, then PP. They are in QT at least 8-10 weeks total. Ich (certainly not the only, or even the main, reason to use a QT) can take this long to show itself on the fish. If ich does appear, they are in QT at least 4 weeks after the spots are gone. The ich stickies at the top of the disease forum, really explain the long ich life-cycle.

Is it OK to treat Mimic Tangs and Yellow Tangs with copper for this long, given their dependence on the bacteria in their digestive systems?

MrTuskfish
11/26/2012, 10:09 AM
Is it OK to treat Mimic Tangs and Yellow Tangs with copper for this long, given their dependence on the bacteria in their digestive systems?
Yes.