PDA

View Full Version : Overflows on FOWLR tanks?

Mr.Tan
11/16/2011, 10:01 AM
So i finally have the money to move up to a bigger tank, which I am going to be doing as a FOWLR... i tried a reef tank, but the amount of work required just is to much for me right now. My big question is how many of you are running RR tanks that are just FOWLR? Is it necessary? If many of you aren't, i don't want to spend the extra money on a tank with built in overflow setup (money could go towards other things for the tank).

I already own a HOB skimmer that I would place on the tank..just not sure if I need to spend the extra money if its not going to have coral in it.

:beer:

collegeman
11/16/2011, 10:08 AM
I would recommend a RR tank. I used a hob overflow on my tank and i hated it. I had to play around with it so much that i decided to go out and purchase a RR tank. With the RR tank the only time i spend with the overflow was when setting the tank up. I know many have success with hob overflows but i hope i never have to use one again.

namxas
11/16/2011, 10:57 AM
Sump-based systems are the best, for sure. We have a dozen setups running at any given time, and the sumped systems are the easiest to care for/modify.

My fave is our 48" 100 gal, which we had modified with an external, dual standpipe O/F, so all you see in the tank is a slot.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/100g%20rhinopias%20and%20volitan/volitan2700.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/100g%20rhinopias%20and%20volitan/volitan700.jpg

Mr.Tan
11/16/2011, 10:59 AM

Mr.Tan
11/16/2011, 11:05 AM
I would recommend a RR tank. I used a hob overflow on my tank and i hated it. I had to play around with it so much that i decided to go out and purchase a RR tank. With the RR tank the only time i spend with the overflow was when setting the tank up. I know many have success with hob overflows but i hope i never have to use one again.

I guess i should have been more specific/worded things better...I am not asking for advice on a HOB overflow compared with a RR tank. Just more of if people are running RR tanks that are just FOWLR. i already have a HOB overflow sitting in my garage i dont use, i hated it. to noisy and i was always scared of it losing siphon

Sump-based systems are the best, for sure. We have a dozen setups running at any given time, and the sumped systems are the easiest to care for/modify.

My fave is our 48" 100 gal, which we had modified with an external, dual standpipe O/F, so all you see in the tank is a slot.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/100g%20rhinopias%20and%20volitan/volitan2700.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/100g%20rhinopias%20and%20volitan/volitan700.jpg

That helps a lot.. I just wasent sure if it was worth it to spend the extra $$$ on the RR setup. I already have a sump built and sitting in my basement from a previous project i tried (basement sump). I'm taking a trip to the LFS tonight, i'll scope on prices and see what i can come up with and compare things. Thanks!

nirvanaandtool
11/16/2011, 12:03 PM
If you dont mind the extra setup time and cost, a Beananimal overflow is a great system. That's what I'm doing for my 40B scorp build - it's 3 3/4" drains in an internal overflow box.

anbosu
11/16/2011, 12:35 PM
I will never buy another tank that isn't drilled, whether it is for a reef or FOWLR.

Monkeyfish
11/16/2011, 02:51 PM
My 180 is "reef ready" and it's a FOWLR... mostly. Having a sump to hide all of the equipment in is a big plus IMO, not to mention the extra water volume which is helpful too.

viggen
11/16/2011, 09:22 PM
yea, having a internal overflow is a necessity on any tank be it reef, fo or fowlr it doesn't matter. Overflow is required for a successful long term tank. Yes you can do a fowlr w/o a overflow but it will requite a LOT more work/maintenance.

I have always preferred one properly sized overflow on one end of the tank vs the dual overflows that many tanks come with (my 210g FO) or the overflows that go across the back of the entire tank. My issue with those other styles it simply due to more food being sucked into the overflow. My 475g (FOWLR) has a single overflow on one end with the return line coming in on the opposite end. The food has over 9ft to travel before it gets sucked into the sump.....

If money is a issue just go FO.... which depends on what you want to keep in there. Also depending on the size of the tank you plan on getting the hang on the back skimmer might not be enough