PDA

View Full Version : What fish and corals should I get?

dragonmoray447
11/18/2011, 03:09 PM
I am getting a 28 gallon biocube, what are some suggestions of fish and corals that I should get. The corals have to be easier to take care of

sponger0
11/18/2011, 03:54 PM
For corals, I would suggest mushroom, softies or zoas

For fish your selection is limited to clowns(not maroon), blennies, gobies(not mandarins), damsels, and cardinals

dragonmoray447
11/18/2011, 04:23 PM
would a snowflake eel work?
heres what im thinking for fish:
1 percula clown
1 blue tang or blue powder tang
1 snowflake eel

Toddrtrex
11/18/2011, 04:26 PM
would a snowflake eel work?
heres what im thinking for fish:
1 percula clown
1 blue tang or blue powder tang
1 snowflake eel

The perc would work.

Both of those tangs (( and all tangs )) will not work in that sized tank, same goes for the snowflake eel.

sponger0
11/18/2011, 04:27 PM
Wow...you didnt read my response lol. No eels. They will create too high of ammonia for the tank. No powder blue tang. No tang period. Too small of a tank. Yes even if you buy a baby one. Plus being new, a powder blue is more for expert care.

So clowns, damsels, blennies, gobies, and cardinals

dragonmoray447
11/18/2011, 04:44 PM
what about a tiny blue tang?
Ive seen those in biocubes before. The really small ones that grow 1 to 2 inches

sponger0
11/18/2011, 04:49 PM
Again....Biocube = no tang.

Reefer1225
11/18/2011, 04:49 PM
Won't get much support for any tangs for your size tank in this forum. Even small baby ones. Most will say buy fish for what will fit your tank full grown. 28 gallons, there is not much fish that could go in there. Clowns, blennies, gobies, firefish, etc. would be good. If you are looking at tangs, you need at least 100 gallons or even more for the larger tangs. Good luck!

dragonmoray447
11/18/2011, 04:55 PM
And for corals, i was thinking:
1-2 colt corals
1-2 mushrooms
1 bubble coral on top.

For Invertebrates:
1 Fire Shrimp
1-2 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

sponger0
11/18/2011, 04:57 PM
Won't get much support for any tangs for your size tank in this forum. Even small baby ones. Most will say buy fish for what will fit your tank full grown. 28 gallons, there is not much fish that could go in there. Clowns, blennies, gobies, firefish, etc. would be good. If you are looking at tangs, you need at least 100 gallons or even more for the larger tangs. Good luck!

+1. The only exception for 100 gallons is yellows tangs and kole tangs can go in a 75 gallon. But thats it

And for corals, i was thinking:
1-2 colt corals
1-2 mushrooms
1 bubble coral on top.

For Invertebrates:
1 Fire Shrimp
1-2 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

All are good her but I would wait for the bubble coral until you have more experience with corals. They can be finicky and be good one day and die the next. Also bubble coral is an lps and you need an better understanding of water chemistry for corals if you are new

dragonmoray447
11/18/2011, 05:21 PM
then i want a coral at the top of the live rock it has to be like wavy and cool so what would anybody suggest?

OregonReefer
11/18/2011, 05:39 PM
A Frogspawn or Hammer would probably fir the bill and they're pretty easy to care for

dragonmoray447
11/18/2011, 09:22 PM
any other corals similar to an anemone or a torch coral that are easy to take care of?

rogermccray
11/18/2011, 10:52 PM
any other corals similar to an anemone or a torch coral that are easy to take care of?

How about a frogspawn or a hammer coral, as was suggested before.

WetShepherd
11/18/2011, 11:20 PM
You definitely don't want an anemone to fit that bill - for one thing they can decide to move so you can't be sure of where it's going to go (or what it will take out as it wanders around). A torch could be an issue as well as it has longer tentacles and in a small space like that will probably start sweeping out and starting a war with the corals below it. As noted, the frogspawn and hammer are your best bet - my guess is you will go with the hammer. Note that it's an LPS (large polyp stoney) so you can't go with the cheapest lights - if you do, forget about these.

The little blue tangs - yea it's amazing to see them when they are so small - but they all grow to be about a foot long. There are no 1 or 2 inch tangs. For clarity - it's not just their adult size that limits the tanks that are appropriate for tangs, it's also their biology and behavior. For one, they like to swim long distances, regardless of their size - so they need a very long tank. Another reason, related to their love of swimming, is their higher than average requirement for oxygen - they can exhaust the supply of a small tank faster than other fish.

There are a lot of options to choose from among the families that sponger0 listed - check out their descriptions on LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124) and I'm sure you'll find ones with the right character for you. I linked directly to the nano section - 38 different options ;)