PDA

View Full Version : had to get a new tank and fish have ick

mcghee33
11/18/2011, 08:27 PM
Ok so I could not find a great title for this but here is the condensed story. I came home and my tank had 4 inches of water in it (55 gal). I got the fish to my lfs immediately along with my corals. I bought a new bigger tank (75 gallon) which is now cycling and has been for about 2 weeks now, I was able to move what I had left of my water in my old 55 gal and my sand and rock to the new tank to speed up the cycle. But now my fish are at the fish store and they have ick pretty bad. I just read the sticky on ick, because in the 4 years I had my tank before this I never EVER had ick. How do I get my fish back to my new tank without introducing ick to my system? FYI the only other tank I have is a 14 gallon biocube and my 3 fish are a scopus tang, blue tang and ocellaris clown. What are my options??? Thanks in advance

Misled
11/18/2011, 08:31 PM
The best thing is to QT them and put them in after the ick has passed. You don't need a tank. You can use a large brute container.

mcghee33
11/18/2011, 08:35 PM
how long will I need to quarantine the fish?

Misled
11/18/2011, 08:48 PM
For that, just follow the sticky Snorvich has up top.

Palting
11/18/2011, 11:20 PM
You actually need to treat your fish, not just quarantine them. You need more than just a large brute container. We are talking up to 8 weeks of treatment here. You can use a brute container as the holding cell,, but you'll need a biofilter, heaters, etc, much like a real QT/HT.

mcghee33
11/18/2011, 11:45 PM
Will my 14 gal nano be big enough for a medium blue tang, medium scopus tang and an ocellaris clown for 4 weeks to treat them with copper and/or hypo salinity?

doctorgori
11/19/2011, 06:52 AM
You actually need to treat your fish, not just quarantine them
+1 although I'm sure this was a implied procedure and a simple ommission by misled...

....the sticky is spot on, only thing I can addin my dozens of years and experience in buying bad products is: stcik to the tried and true "Name brands": SeaChem, Mardel, et et...

Be advised there are a few methyl blue based products with some added formaldehyde and/or Malichite green (like No-ich and RidIch) ...YMMV, but for SW I've had better luck with copper based stuff like Copper safe, blah blah
...hopefully someone will chime in with more up to date recommendations (I haven't had to med for ich in ages, so whadda I know?)

snorvich
11/19/2011, 07:09 AM
Good advice above. LFS share water in their fish system with all new arrivals so there is no prophylactic value to LFS fish. Treat them as per stickies and avoid introducing parasites into your new tank.

Misled
11/19/2011, 01:08 PM
+1 although I'm sure this was a implied procedure and a simple ommission by misled...

For that, just follow the sticky Snorvich has up top.

That there is the implied part. :D

Palting
11/19/2011, 01:55 PM
That there is the implied part. :D

LOL!! I know you knew, Misled. I just wanted to be sure the OP knew as well. :).