PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9011 Skimmer

downbeach
11/19/2011, 12:01 PM
Hi Roger,

I have been using a Tunze 9011 Skimmer in an "in cabinet" set up since February. I noticed the other day, that it wasn't running, so I removed it and disassembled the unit. I thoroughly cleaned it, which I do about every 4 to six weeks, and after getting it started, I also ran it in a bucket of a mixture of water and vinegar for a couple of hours. It seemed to be working, so I thought it just needed a little more cleaning than usual. I have since noticed that it is not starting again, unless I keep turning it off and on. It didn't appear that the motor itself can be disassembled, is there anything else I can do, or does it need replacing already?

Thanks,

Jim

rvitko
11/21/2011, 11:50 AM
The impeller and magnet spin on a fixed metal shaft attached to the bottom of the pump. If this has never been removed for cleaning, likely it is fused to the metal shaft by calcium and this is causing an overheat. I would pull out the impeller and magnet using a twisting motion, the shaft should stay behind in the pump. You can then clean the inside of the pump and impeller and magnet with vinegar.