PDA

View Full Version : orange toadfish

rayn
11/19/2011, 08:32 PM
Out at a lfs tonight and got to talking with the order manager and found out he has a small stonefish and a orange toadfish on his order list. Toadfish will be 27 bucks and the stone will be 20.

Doing a bit of research on the toadfish it seems that some are saying species tank, but is this true?

As for the stone I'm not sure what exact type or the size either but I am wanting to find out. Should know tuesday.

AlexS95
11/19/2011, 09:08 PM
I saw an orange toad at an LFS a few weeks ago, it looked really cool. But 27 seems really high to me... The one I saw was like 10, might have just been because they are collected loaclly-ish compared to Il. though.

rayn
11/19/2011, 10:08 PM
One site I looked at was almost 60 plus shipping. I didn't feel 27 was to bad.

Once I actually see it and se the size I have to figure out where it goes though.

jarrod13
11/19/2011, 11:24 PM
They're cheap by us Alex because this is where they're mostly collected, in fact I'm pretty sure the orange ones are only found in a certain area, over on the west coast by you I think, but not 100% sure, haven't read about them in a while. I don't think 27 is bad for one.

I had one that I got at about 2". I just got rid of it and it was about 7-8". They grow quick and are one of the most aggressive feeders I've kept. What size tank would you be keeping it in?

rayn
11/19/2011, 11:31 PM
My first thought is a 40b and that is my hope. Second best choice is a 55, but I would have to get it up and going again with new sand but established rock. Here is where I am concerned and wondering about the size and what it could go with. I would like to give the inimicus a tank mate but not sure if the two would be okay together. Just have to wait and see on the size differential as we all know.

Moray keeper
11/20/2011, 12:06 AM
I think most of the orange toads come from the Keys area, interesting fish but pretty messy.

nateqt
11/20/2011, 12:43 AM
I know someone how had a toadfish and it messed up there tank pretty bad digging burrows and what not and wolfed down a few fish a little smaller than it

LisaD
11/20/2011, 07:02 AM
I had one, great fish. Pretty much a species tank, IMO, unless you have fish it definitely couldn't swallow. I think the price sounds good.

rayn
11/20/2011, 11:33 AM
The species tank issue is where my main concerns lay. Not sure I can do a whole other tank dedicated to just one fish again.

namxas
11/20/2011, 12:33 PM
I'm glad Lisa chimed in, as I was going to suggest a shout out to her since I know she kept one for a number of years.

Orange toadies have always interested me, but since we already have more setups than we can shake a stick at, another species tank would be a little hard to manage ATM.

rayn
11/20/2011, 12:38 PM
Cool. So there are a couple on here that have had one successfully. Is it a scorps or not? That species tank is back again, does it all boil down to size differential again and what fits in their mouth what they can stay with?

DoubleM 10
11/20/2011, 03:36 PM
i have seen amny at a LFS near me. they always have them. 27 is a fair price. most of the ones they have are 40-50 bucks. never owned one but from what i have read(i was interested in them at one point) that they get pretty large and will try most things once.

seahorsedreams
11/21/2011, 09:03 AM
rayn, when you take a look at that mouth and you might change your mind. They have one of the biggest mouths I've seen.

namxas
11/21/2011, 10:08 AM
Is it a scorps or not?

Nope...toadies belong to superorder Paracanthopterygii, family Batrachoididae, and genus Ospanus. The gulf toadfish is O. tau.

rayn
11/21/2011, 11:56 AM
Hmm, I guess I'll have to wait and see then. Sounds interesting if nothing else.

LisaD
11/21/2011, 04:15 PM
I had mine with a waspfish, they were close to the same size, and it was ok. Don't know if your mileage will vary, though.