PDA

View Full Version : How many Radions for a 180 ? AI Sols ?

drew930
11/19/2011, 10:11 PM
Was looking at lighting for my 180 . Between the AI's or Radions . Leaning towards the AI's because of cost ..but curious if I should wait for the Phoenix . I will be keeping a clam or 2 and a RBTA . Ive been hearing 3 AI's for a 180 . I got to thinking I would ask how many radions I would need just to be sure . I will be adding 2-4 36" T5's ( blue or pink ) . I have heard the AI's are better for 24" depth .

So ... How many AI's and Radions would I need for a 180 ??

AcroporAddict
11/19/2011, 10:14 PM
Well, since each Radion is supposed to be able to cover a 24" x 24" area, I would say three, assuming your 180 is a standard 72" x 24" footprint.

reefjunkie42
11/19/2011, 10:17 PM
i use 3 AIs for my 60x30x24. works great. SPS dominant

drew930
11/19/2011, 10:26 PM
Yea .. I was thinking 3 As well with either ... BUT would 2 radions mixed with 4-6 36" T5's be enough for clams/anemones ? I'm only planning on keeping very few sps also . mainly LPS

drew930
11/19/2011, 10:57 PM
I will probably get the AI's if I can't get away with 2 radions . Even if I can get away with I will probably still get the AI's . I'm thinking I should wait on the Phoenix ... But they are $100 more per unit .. But may be worth it considering the spread and power . Just don't know how long I will have to wait .

mcallahan
11/19/2011, 11:02 PM
Having used both the AI unit and the Radion, the Radion spreads much better while the AI penetrates more.

Therefore, you'd need less Radions to cover the tank. I just built a 72" tank for someone and it was cheaper to go with Radions b/c we didn't need as many of them like we would need for the AI's.

As for the penetration, some people think we need crazy PAR to grow coral, but I've grown coral (SPS) and anemones in low PAR (sub 100) situations and they did fine.

So why the Radions might penetrate less, that doesn't bother me since the corals are fine and I'd rather have less PAR instead of the spotlighting effect that you get with the AI units. I'm not a fan of the interrogation room look!

drew930
11/19/2011, 11:35 PM
Having used both the AI unit and the Radion, the Radion spreads much better while the AI penetrates more.

Therefore, you'd need less Radions to cover the tank. I just built a 72" tank for someone and it was cheaper to go with Radions b/c we didn't need as many of them like we would need for the AI's.

As for the penetration, some people think we need crazy PAR to grow coral, but I've grown coral (SPS) and anemones in low PAR (sub 100) situations and they did fine.

So why the Radions might penetrate less, that doesn't bother me since the corals are fine and I'd rather have less PAR instead of the spotlighting effect that you get with the AI units. I'm not a fan of the interrogation room look!

Thats the whole reason I wanted to go with the radion instead . But if I went with the radions , I think 3 would be enough . Just not sure if 2 would be enough .... Even with T5's . I could get 3 AI's for cheaper than 2 radions .

Would 3 AI's raised 10-12" above water still give a spotlight look ? And with T5's ... Most of the spotlight will go away right ?

drew930
11/19/2011, 11:37 PM
Phoenix is not a replacement for the SOL, the SOLs are for penetration and the Phoenix are for spread.

Yea I know . I meant that I might wanna wait since the Phoenix is coming out . I was worried about the spotlight .. But probably won't have it with the Phoenix .

SkullV
11/20/2011, 12:21 AM
3 radions would be needed.

karsseboom
11/20/2011, 12:25 AM
damm 3 radions? Thats 2100 bucks ouch!

drew930
11/20/2011, 12:38 AM
Haha yea . Well I'm sure they are worth it , but for me , I will probably get the AI SOL or wait on the Phoenix . Does anyone have an idea on when they are coming out ?

SkullV
11/20/2011, 12:39 AM
damm 3 radions? Thats 2100 bucks ouch!

Seems like you jump into all of these LED threads bashing them and making insinuations. Realistically you have no firsthand experience with any of these products correct?

karsseboom
11/20/2011, 12:51 AM
Seems like you jump into all of these LED threads bashing them and making insinuations. Realistically you have no firsthand experience with any of these products correct?

I'm was just thinking of the money. I'm sure its a great fixture. I love ecotech!