PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Clarkii Clown, Will Seperating Him Help??

JENnKerry
11/20/2011, 10:26 AM
We have a new addition to our tank as of yesterday, a Lamarck swallow tail angel. Of course, everyone gave him grief as new tank mate hazings always occur, but that lasts all of 10 min. EXCEPT for one bully, our Clarkii Clown. Side note: (He is VERY large and we've had him for 6 yrs) We let this go on for a few hours and he even continued to beat him down after the lights went out.
So, we scooped him out of the 125 and stuck him in a 10 gallon thinking we were going to unload him at the LFS today.
But, I wanted to ask this question first....if we keep him seperated out of the 125 for a few days to a week, then reintroduce him after the angel is a bit more established, should the bickering subside? Or am I looking a just reintroducing the problem back into my tank?

Bredfan
11/20/2011, 05:11 PM
Well, please don't consider this advice, since you have infinitely more experience than I have. Rather, just something to think about...

The Fish Whisperer in me thinks that the fish don't remember so well. That is, I don't think the clown is going to get back in the tank after a few weeks and think "...oh yeah, it's that guy again...I'm gonna give him some what for!" :-)

I'm thinking whatever happens after a separation will be dependent on the conditions in the tank at the time of re-introduction.

So... If the Angel establishes a home and is accepted, the tank dynamics will be markedly different.

I'm thinking the only way to know is to try it!

(Again, total noob...feel free to discount as the rantings of one!)

usatennisfan
11/20/2011, 05:44 PM
I've had the same problem with different fish and the only thing that worked, at least for me, was to take everybody out and rearrange the scape and reintroduce everyone at the same time. That was it is like a brand new environment for everyone. Are you still going to have some hazing? Most definitely. But that should all just be reestablishment of territory.

JENnKerry
11/20/2011, 08:46 PM
I'm kinda on the same page with you guys on that thought. Since my tank has been established for near 7 yrs now, with just about all the original tank mates, I dont have much experience in adding someone new. They do remember....to a degree...I can only assume haha.
I can only hope that his time out session will prove a success because I gotta admit, I honestly dont wanna get rid of him. I love this guy and its breaking my heart to think hes gotta go.
Ok, next question....How long should his time out be??? Hmmmm...

nam2212
11/21/2011, 03:58 PM
I bought a pair of Clarkii a few years ago and kept them in a 30G with a BTA. The female ended up being very aggressive with any new additions. They ended up being a breeding pair and I sold them on here a few years ago. She got pretty large and would even try to attack me anytime I put my hand in the tank. I only had the one pair but i think they might just be one of the more aggressive species of clown.

JENnKerry
11/21/2011, 08:11 PM
Mine gets that way if I go in and clean up around his anemonies, its tougher since I have two large anemonies in the 125, he hosts both. I get the clicking and popping of the jaw then the bites on my hands and arm. He draws blood with those little teeth!!
My friend had a pair in her 29 gallon and had the same exact problem as you did nam2212. She ultimately broke her tank down and gave them away.

Well, its been two days and he has been hulking out the entire time! Throwing things around the tank, refuses to eat! Just throwing a terrible tantrum! So, tonight while the lights were out, I scooped him out of the 10 and put him back in the 125. WHAT A SHOCK THAT WAS TO HIM! He got his gills stuck in the net and I swore he died...he went limp. But, I released his gills and he swam to the bottom and my tangs regreeted him. I know if I had let it go much longer, he would have killed himself. If I see things go sour with him and the new angel tomorrow, I will have to get him back out. Thankfully its easy to catch him!
Fingers crossed

Whip316
11/22/2011, 01:30 PM
does she (clarkii) have a mate? might want to get her one and then she might leave alone and forget all the other fish.
post a pic of the big girl!!