PDA

View Full Version : Tan residue with water changes...?

Jfannin
11/22/2011, 03:13 PM
Ok Ive looked around for some info on this for some time know and haven't ever ran acrossed any thing like it in the forums. So after about a month of looking figure I better ask.

40g breeder T5 lighting mostly sps but I do have a few lps. Torch coral , Lord Acanthastrea Coral (not positive as to what one) and a Green toodstool mushroom all of witch are placed on the bottom of the tank.

This is when I do a large water change alot of the sps are out of the water. I do splash water on the corals that are not under water to insure that they don't dry out and what not. The LPS corals stay fully submerged. The water flow is reduced of course do to the water level dropping below my mp10 and mp40. The water change take a total time of 5-10 min.

The odd part: as Im removing water a brown patchy film streaky like substance continually fill the tank. It appears as fast as I can siphon and clings to everything, corals and all. I haven't got a clue as to what might be producing it or how bad it is for my corals. It does tend to go away after the new fresh saltwater is added but some is still kinda clinging to the corals.

If I do a small water change this doesn't happen. With the small WC the corals are still sumurged.

I will say my tank is about 3 years old and the corals are really small and recently I have lost a few frags. I belive it's from the tan/brown crap

I use Carbon and use to use GFO but stopped because it brought my cheato growth to a halt and I didn't see any improvements in my tank with the GFO over the cheato. Actully come to think of it I never had the tan crap pre GFO. But I've added corals as well though.

What's your thought.

gpx1200
11/22/2011, 05:43 PM
i'm perty shure some shalow water corals give off a slime coat during low tide conditions as a uv protection kind of like sun tan lotion, this could be it. do you leave your lights on during water changes? if so mabie try it without them next time.

Jfannin
11/22/2011, 07:44 PM
I do have a green slimmer up top. Thats kinda the coral if any I had in mind.

I do actully keep my light on to help see crap. I'll try them off next time.

Thx