PDA

View Full Version : How often do compact fluorescent bulbs need changing for LPS ?

daddy2kids
11/23/2011, 09:32 AM
Hey Gurus... I have a 46 gal LPS tank (list of corals is below).
I'm using a Coralife 36 Inch Aqualight with 96 watt 10,000K and 96 watt True Actinic 03 blue square pin base compact fluorescent bulbs.
How often do I need to change these bulbs?
On the Web I see everything from change every 6 mos. to change every 8 mos. to change every 18 mos.
Is there a definitive answer for LPS and Zoa?
I'm posting in both Lighting and LPS--I hope that's ok...
Thanks in advance,
Sean

~RuSh~
11/23/2011, 02:49 PM
I think it probably varies depending on the brand of light you have. Some people claim after 6 months, they notice a curb in growth in their corals and after replacing the bulbs, the growth resumes. Some say, 12 months, etc etc. I change mine every year - though I only run PC on my freshwater planted tanks. I know the light spectrum can begin to change at that point and cause more algae growth than beneficial light. I've used that as a guideline for success for quite some time.

seapug
11/23/2011, 04:45 PM
If you really want the tank to stay looking its best, I wouldn't let them go more than 6 months. You'll probably notice a big difference replacing them as often as every 3 months. PC bulbs are notorious for their short lifespans. PC fixtures can be found pretty cheap, but when you consider bulb replacement costs, "more expensive" T5HO, MH, and LED really make sense.

daddy2kids
11/24/2011, 10:15 AM
Thank you very much RuSh and seapug!

Seapug (and everyone), any thoughts on nominal replacement frequency for T5HO and MH? Seapug has me wondering about long term costs of use....

daddy2kids
11/24/2011, 10:15 AM
Thank you very much RuSh and seapug!

Seapug (and everyone), any thoughts on nominal replacement frequency for T5HO and MH? Seapug has me wondering about long term costs of use....

reefinghabit
11/24/2011, 08:58 PM
metal halide is the way to go,metal halides burn different mettalic salts for different color spectrums,they can last up to 2 years,there more concentrated and the light beam is more intense.power compact and t5 ho,are also great but the light output is transmitted over the length of the bulb.so they need replacement at least every 5-6 months.if you placed a coral under a metal halide of say 150 watts its would grow fast and color up great,if u took the same coral under t5 or pc it would be lighter in color and grow slower.water quality also plays a major role in this.

rogersb
11/25/2011, 01:05 PM
metal halide is the way to go,metal halides burn different mettalic salts for different color spectrums,they can last up to 2 years,there more concentrated and the light beam is more intense.power compact and t5 ho,are also great but the light output is transmitted over the length of the bulb.so they need replacement at least every 5-6 months.if you placed a coral under a metal halide of say 150 watts its would grow fast and color up great,if u took the same coral under t5 or pc it would be lighter in color and grow slower.water quality also plays a major role in this.

T-5 don't need to be replaced every 5-6 months, they go for about a year then need replacement. I have a 75g tank with a 4 bulb t-5 fixture and my sps colonies are not light in color and they grow faster than I like.

daddy2kids
11/27/2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks everyone!