PDA

View Full Version : Need Flow advice

kalgra
11/23/2011, 03:40 PM
So I am in the process of building a 200g in wall display with a 150g sump/fuge in the basement below. I will be running 2 Vortech mp40s and 1 mp60 in the display.

What I need to know is given I will have as much flow as I will ever need in the display from the Vortechs, how much flow should I be looking at for turnover between the display and sump/fuge where my skimmer and reactors will be located? Would say 500GPH be sufficient?

Hopefully my question makes sense.

xCry0x
11/23/2011, 03:50 PM
I think it kind of depends on what your skimmer is rated at and what kind of pumps you have for your reactors. If your skimmer is a 50gph skimmer then pushing 1,000 gph past it wont help, on the other hand pushing 50gph past a 1,000 gph skimmer would just cycle the same skimmer-fied water over and over.

Make sure you take into account head loss from plumbing, any guess on an exact turnover would be pure speculation but I would imagine you want more than 500 gph since your water volume is 350g net, that is barely 1x an hour.

BLKTANG
11/23/2011, 03:50 PM
Id say more in the area of 700-800 GPH through your sump.

kalgra
11/23/2011, 03:57 PM
I have my head loss calculated at 16' so I am taking that into consideration when choosing the pump. Perhaps I should shoot for at least 1000gph to be safe? The skimmer is rated for up to 400g but I would have to check the specs on the skimmer pump. One pump I am looking at the reeflow uno (wahoo) is spec'd at 1200 gph at 16' head loss. maybe that is the best route. I also want to use the pump to power my reactors via a manifold coming off the return side so a little extra flow wouldn't hurt.

What do you guys think?

BLKTANG
11/23/2011, 03:59 PM
I have my head loss calculated at 16' so I am taking that into consideration when choosing the pump. Perhaps I should shoot for at least 1000gph to be safe? The skimmer is rated for up to 400g but I would have to check the specs on the skimmer pump. One pump I am looking at the reeflow uno (wahoo) is spec'd at 1200 gph at 16' head loss. maybe that is the best route. I also want to use the pump to power my reactors via a manifold coming off the return side so a little extra flow wouldn't hurt.

What do you guys think?

Put a gate valve on it,& you could always dial it back if need be.