PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate Testing

missk
11/23/2011, 04:05 PM
Question.. I have two test kits.. the liquid API and the packet style Instant Ocean kit. The API seems to indicate my nitrate levels are at 80ppm.. but the InstantOcean shows 10ppm.

Which one is accurate??

Ron Reefman
11/23/2011, 04:29 PM
You can't seriously think anybody out here can give you a real answer do you?

I use API for my ammonia and nitrate tests. They always read zero, and that is what I expect. I'm not familiar with the IO kit. I'd take a water sample to a LFS along with your 2 test kits and ask them to do a test with their test kit. If that matches either of yours, you have your answer. If it doesn't, then ask them to do the tests with your kits as well. Hopefully that will help tell which one is more accurate.

I use API and Salifert for several other tests and find I get very similar results with both brands. It's just that the Salifert results read out in finer increments.

seapug
11/23/2011, 04:33 PM
Question.. I have two test kits.. the liquid API and the packet style Instant Ocean kit. The API seems to indicate my nitrate levels are at 80ppm.. but the InstantOcean shows 10ppm.

Which one is accurate??

Whichever one is closer to the new Nitrate test kit you need to go purchase.

shifty51008
11/23/2011, 05:22 PM
dont forget you must shake the crap out of the api bottle #2 to get a good reading.