PDA

View Full Version : Which CO2 regulator

purge43
11/24/2011, 01:10 PM
Im having a hard time deciding which regulator/solenoid to buy for a calcium reactor. My budget is about $150 for this part and Im on the fence for either the american marine or the reef fanatic. I cant find any reports about the american marine , but I can find good reports for the reef fanatic. The american marine comes with 20' of tubing, has a bubble counter and has an led indicator for when its activated. The led is the one thing drawing me to the american marine. I like the idea of looking at it and knowing its activating the solenoid. Is the led worth buying the american marine instead of the reef fanatic which Ive read good reviews of? (milwaukee is out of the question and I cant afford the aquariumplant)

A. Grandis
11/24/2011, 01:33 PM
I've got Reef Fanatics for my fresh water tank and works great!
It is very easy to install and I took me only in 3 minutes to have it running.
The needle valve is all you need to adjust. It is fairly precise and trouble free.

I've had Milwalkee before and it was ok. You do need to adjust the working pressure besides the needle valve though.

I don't have a calcium reactor and my experiences with the regulator are only with the fresh water planted system, but I don't think there would be any difference with the regulator installation/ adjustment.

Grandis.

sirreal63
11/24/2011, 02:37 PM
I had the Milwaukee, it sucked, or more correctly, the needle valve sucked, the gauges are fine and on most it is the needle valve that is the weak point. I just used the AP add on box with the Milwaukee. It works perfectly and with no failure in the 18 months I have had it.

tkeracer619
11/24/2011, 02:39 PM
aquariumplants.com electronic regulator. Hands down.

aleonn
11/24/2011, 04:03 PM
aquariumplants.com electronic regulator. Hands down.

The AP carbon doser electronic regulator is a highly regarded regulator from folks on RC so I followed their recommendation. I'm very glad I did, as it made things very easy and was one less thing to worry about in regards to the tank.

James77
11/24/2011, 07:17 PM
I would save up a bit more for the aquariumplants electronic one. By far the best I have used, alot better than the reef fanatic. Rock solid and the 3 year warranty can't be beat. Others I would consider but never tried would be any from green leaf aquariums. The needle valve is what makes the difference, and quality is not cheap. The ap electronic one uses a small piezo solenoid and a timer relay to work. Aside from minor adjustments to tank demands increasing, the setting never drifted.

pencil3
11/24/2011, 09:41 PM
Pinpoint has an electronic CO2 regulator too.