PDA

View Full Version : ATI T5 Ballast Question

mdog3000
11/24/2011, 03:20 PM
Hi guys. 2 of my 3 metal halides have stopped working/are being extremely temperamental and I unplugged them about 2 months ago because I was afraid they might start a fire. Currently I have 3x 140 watt 72" VHO's going right now on my 72" 125 gallon and everything is doing well but I wanted to add some T5's to supplement these. I looked on reefgeek and found this ballast (http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Parts_&_Accessories/Ballasts/T5_Fluorescent/2x80W_T5_High-Output_Ballast_by_ATI) but it says no wires or anything are included and I wanted to know if I could use this. Currently I have icecaps for my VHO's and they had all the necessary cables and were really easy to set up. If this ballast wont work what can I use instead? Thanks!

p.s. Happy Turkey Day!

tkeracer619
11/24/2011, 03:23 PM
It would be fine but will need the wires extended.

mdog3000
11/24/2011, 03:29 PM
Do I need any special wires or can it just be regular wire that I splice on with a twist cap?

tkeracer619
11/24/2011, 04:17 PM
Wire caps work fine. Get hookup wire at hd or Lowes that has a 600 volt rating.

Vannpytt
08/04/2012, 02:52 PM
How long will it take for a ballast to be severely damaged, or give decreased effect if not cooled properly?

I think the 6x39w ATI Sunpower fixture (while it runs blue tube combo) is not very intense or bright. The tubes is said to be 3 months when I took it over, and the fan was just replaced. They did not run when I started it, which I found out after 8-9 hours, and the fixture was warm to the touch, though not so hot that I could not hold man hands on it.

I changed the wiring (seems the previous owner set v- v+ to the wrong connectors) which I fixed. Should I look for new ballasts or try with new bulbs or does T5 not really look very bright at all? I run LEDs and they are vastly more bright atleast to the eye.