PDA

View Full Version : Will Two Heaters This Size Work?

windyridge
11/24/2011, 03:43 PM
Will two heaters, one 100W and one 150W heat a 92 gallon tank adequately? I have read that it's sometimes better to have two smaller heaters rather than one large one to avoid a sticky switch and a cooked tank. Added together they equal 108G of heating capacity but I don't know if you can just add the max volume that can be heated by the individual heaters, together.

tmz
11/24/2011, 09:05 PM
Yes adding them up is fine. Using smaller heaters is prudent in case of failure up or down.
Another enhancement is a controller. You preset a desired temperature and the the controller shuts of current to the the eaters when it is reached. If a controller is used and the heateres are set a degree or two higher than the preset temp ,they will always come on when the controller opens the current and go off at the preset temperature as the controller shuts it down. . If the controller sticks on the heaters will go off will when the set temperature at the heater is reached limiting what could be a severe temperature rise to a degree or two. Unless of course everything fails at once then it's cooked or chilled.

windyridge
11/24/2011, 09:33 PM
I plan on buying an Apex reefkeeper lite in the next few months. That's a good idea, that's what I will do when I get it. I just wanted to be sure that with the two heaters, they wouldn't be struggling to heat the 92 gallons. But as I typed this I realized I have another 7G in the refugium but when I add the max gallons together for each heater I am still good.

fishflorist
11/24/2011, 10:00 PM
I have a 200G system and 2 * 300w heaters, but feel not enough

so I think you should add 1 100w at least

tmz
11/25/2011, 01:17 AM
It's hard to say how much you need precisely without knowing the room temperature. Pumps and lights also source heat to the aquarium. If your sump is on a cold concrete floor as mine is that plays too.I do ok maintaining 80 degrees F(26.66 C) with 3 300s on the 600 gallons with room temperature at 72 and lot's of halide lighting. I add an extra 250 in the winter when the room temperature runs a couple of degrees lower.

windyridge
11/25/2011, 07:37 AM
Ah good point. It will be on a carpeted floor. 4 T5's and two small strips of LED with heat sinks.