PDA

View Full Version : lps with low nutrient?

larryfl1
11/25/2011, 11:29 AM
hey all

mixed reef tank... 350 gallon size...

i am on the fence on red sea no pox or bio pellets...

are many of you keeping low nutrient successfully with lps and mixed stuff?? what additives are you using?

any advice/thoughts are appreciated..

Thanks

Larry

joemelo
11/25/2011, 01:17 PM
i use biopellets. tank looks great.
KZ makes LPS amino acids to supplement

larryfl1
11/26/2011, 06:33 AM
what dkh are you keeping and is lps amino all you are adding?

joemelo
11/26/2011, 07:39 AM
I run biopellets and skim. I use all KZ products, coral snow, sponge power, lps amino acids, zeobak, zeofood, and coral vitalizer. I use red sea Pro. specs for that salt are online. I do a 10% weekly w/c and that keeps my levels up.

Useful_Idiot
11/26/2011, 07:44 AM
I've tried both actually. I ran the vertex biopellets for 5 months and got my no3,po4 down to 0 and stopped because all my colors were pale. lps had their feeder tentacles out all day and night. I was running a full tlf150 reactor on a 70 gallon system and I think it was too much. I also tried nopox which I like and will be going back too. But I wasn't following the directions and dosing even though my hanna meter read 0 for po4. I still had algae so I assumed it was misreading. It wasn't and all my acans and chalices started receding. With whatever you do I don't think you can run your system too low on no3,po4 unless your gonna dump a ton of food in there. GL

joemelo
11/26/2011, 08:01 AM
you're not supposed to run gfo while running biopellets for the first 4 weeks. so you don't incur a nutrient deprivation. I suggest to run gfo first to get rid of the majority of your po4.
the take gfo offline and run biopellets. 250ml/50gallons.
you need to supplement some sort of amino acids. like useful idiot pointed out your corals will receed because they are looking for you, that's why they have their feeding tentacles out. I use lps amino acids for obvious reasons, coral snow as a water polisher. sponge power for my filter feeds AND it helps repair any corals with recession and damage spots. I use coral vitalizer to bring out colours

joemelo
11/26/2011, 08:04 AM
not even being fed at this moment of the picture.... that's how they are all the time from the KZ supplements while running biopellets

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/jemeloche/10.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/jemeloche/20.jpg