PDA

View Full Version : Convert my 20g or buy a 29 biocube?

zidion
11/25/2011, 04:37 PM
So I am thinking of taking the plunge into getting a reef system (after having 2 55g freshwater systems I want something else).

I currently have a 20g system that I am not using and its fairly new (bought in June). I was thinking of buying everything I needed to set it up as a reef tank (filter, lights, powerheads, etc) and then I found a 29g BioCube on sale at a LFS for $150.

Now, I like having everything I need for $150, but I feel with the BioCube I will be "stuck" with that equipment, and it might be worth spending a little more and just upgrading my 20g to suit the needs of a reeftank.

This is what I was looking at:

AquaClear 50 Power Filter (for water movement and carbon)
Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Aquarium Pump, 240 gph
Sicce Voyager 1 Power Stream Pump, 607gph
Protein Skimmer

Those 3 things would cost me around $120

Now, the lighting issue is making me rather confused. I keep seeing a lot of random numbers thrown around. I've read at some places you need 3-5 watts per gallon, and other places say 4-8. Now, I do want corals, but I am looking at just doing beginner corals.

I was looking at getting a 2x24 light ( such as this Coralife 08600 Aqualight High Output T5 Dual Lamp Fixture, 24-Inch), but that would not be enough wattage correct? So I would have to go with a 4x24 to have enough wattage, which would cost around $200.

So now I am looking at either DIY reef for about $320, or a Biocube 29g for $150.

Which setup would be better in the long run?

PS. I was using this as a build guide
http://www.aquabuys.com/c/nano-reef-aquarium.html

sponger0
11/25/2011, 04:58 PM
Ok, buy the Biocube. Itll save you in the long run. With the biocube, all youll need is a heater and powerhead.

As far as lights, biocubes come with PC lighting which is good enough for starting out. Its enough light to grow softies and LPS. But you also have to understand their other needs such as flow and how much light. Which ones are compatibile and so on. Ignore the watts per gallon ratio.

Now you can later on buy a 24" T5 light fixture for a biocube, which is what I did.