PDA

View Full Version : ATO fail-safes without extra float switches

pweissma
11/25/2011, 10:41 PM
My ATO system uses a single float switch. With a couple of virtual outlets I've created safeguards from overfilling if my float switch gets stuck closed, from my ATO pump burning out if my reservoir runs dry and from my kalk dosing pump overfilling my system. These safeguards can be used in addition to multiple float switches for additional safety.

The first virtual outlet is called ATO_fail:
Set OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 000:30 Then ON
If FeedD 000 Then OFF

Switch1 is my float switch. This outlet turns ON when my ATO pump runs for 30sec. Obviously the timing can be anything but it needs to be a good bit more than the normal length of time your ATO pump ever runs and a length of time that your pump could run dry without frying itself. The two reasons why my ATO pump might run for 30 seconds that worry me are (1) the float switch is stuck closed, or (2) my reservoir is empty.

In my ATO programming I have,
If Outlet ATO_fail = ON Then OFF

and in EmailAlm I have,
If Outlet ATO_fail = ON Then ON

So whatever the cause, when ATO_fail = ON, the ATO pump is OFF and I get an email with the condition.

The last line in the virtual outlet programming (FeedD) is necessary to restore the ATO when the problem is corrected. Otherwise I would be stuck. The ATO won't work because ATO_fail is ON and ATO_fail won't turn OFF until Switch1 is OPEN which will only happen after the top off pump runs.

The second virtual outlet prevents my kalk dosing pump from overfilling my system. I dose kalk independently from my top off. I do it this way as it allows for better control of amount and timing. Basically I just use the OSC command but I need to be sure that enough water is evaporating so I won't overfill my system.

For this I have a virtual outlet called High_water:
Set OFF
If Outlet ATO_3_3 = OFF Then ON
Defer 999:00 Then ON

If my ATO pump hasn't run for 999 minutes (16h 39m) then High_water turns ON. This I interpret as a sign that my water level might be too high and I should not dose kalk and an email alarm is sent out. I would prefer a longer signal than 999 minutes but I haven't figured out how to do this.

This is what I'm doing and it's working for me. I'm interested to see if others find this helpful or just interesting. My tank is a 34g nano and I realize that bigger tanks have very different issues.

swearint
11/26/2011, 11:10 AM
For this I have a virtual outlet called High_water:
Set OFF
If Outlet ATO_3_3 = OFF Then ON
Defer 999:00 Then ON

If my ATO pump hasn't run for 999 minutes (16h 39m) then High_water turns ON. This I interpret as a sign that my water level might be too high and I should not dose kalk and an email alarm is sent out. I would prefer a longer signal than 999 minutes but I haven't figured out how to do this.

Create an outlet cascade. Use HighWater outlet to trigger a second virtual outlet and Defer, repeat ... Use the last outlet to trigger email, etc.

Todd

pweissma
11/27/2011, 07:50 AM
Create an outlet cascade. Use HighWater outlet to trigger a second virtual outlet and Defer, repeat ... Use the last outlet to trigger email, etc.

Todd

Sounds like that should work. I'll give it a try.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

dwolson2
07/05/2013, 01:00 PM
Great idea. Old thread i came across, but still cool.