PDA

View Full Version : Curing dead rock?

chris0799
11/26/2011, 06:32 PM
Ok I had a 75 gallon tank that I took down about 3 months ago. I have about 80lbs of live rock that I put in a big container in the shed. The rock is dead now. I'm getting a 24 gallon nano cube and I want to use my old rock. What do I need to do so that I can use this rock in my aquarium?

kingfisher62
11/26/2011, 06:53 PM
Ok I had a 75 gallon tank that I took down about 3 months ago. I have about 80lbs of live rock that I put in a big container in the shed. The rock is dead now. I'm getting a 24 gallon nano cube and I want to use my old rock. What do I need to do so that I can use this rock in my aquarium?

following along!

When you put it in the shed was it in water?

chris0799
11/26/2011, 06:54 PM
No it's just sitting in a container. Dried out.

ejanastacio
11/26/2011, 06:58 PM
I believe you can reuse the rock, just put in a container with a few pieces of live rock and let it cycle for a month or two.

chris0799
11/26/2011, 07:00 PM
How often should I change the water? What other maintenance should I do?

elegance coral
11/26/2011, 07:08 PM
I would just scrub the rocks clean, pick up a gallon of muriatic acid from a pool supply store, WallMart, Lowes, HomeDepot......... and give the rocks an acid/water bath. Then rinse them off really well, and start you cycle in your tank like normal. This will remove most of the problem causing phosphate, reducing the odds of algae problems.

chris0799
11/26/2011, 07:14 PM
After this will it become "live"? Will the live sand seed it? Or do I have to put a piece of live rock in there with it? And how will I get the cycle to start if there is nothing on my rocks?

chris0799
11/26/2011, 08:20 PM
I'm not getting the tank until Christmas so do u think I can start the cycle in a container and when I get the tank just pour all the water in my tank and put the live rock in there and add live sand?

chris0799
11/28/2011, 08:23 PM
if i just seed the old rock with a piece of live rock and let it all cycle in the container until christmas will i be able to just put the water from the container in the tank and then add the live rock and sand? then will my tank be ok? or do i have to cycle it all over again in the tank?

hollister
11/28/2011, 08:26 PM
Yes you can cure it in the tank but i would only do if you have the SB and powerheads in place, This will make it much easier. And you can seed it from a LR frag.

chris0799
11/28/2011, 08:37 PM
ok. but what im asking is if i cycle it in the trash can with the rock, sand bed, saltwater, powerhead, and heater, do i have to cycle it again when i put it all into the tank?
pretty much what im asking is when i put it in the tank is it ok to add a couple snails, crabs, and 1 or 2 fish.

chris0799
11/28/2011, 11:58 PM
Anyone? Will I have to cycle it again once I put it in the tank? Or will I be good to go!?

chamjack
11/29/2011, 12:27 AM
The only thing you might get going from the trash can to your tank is some minimal die off (provided you can make the transition quick). This might cause another ammonia spike (another mini cycle). The degree of the spike (cycle) depends on how much died on the transfer. IMO, I would get it transfered, then test the water params a day or so later, and see where you are at before you add some livestock. Don't rush it and cause yourself grief. You are already waiting till Christmas, a few more days after you get the tank would be golden :spin3:

chris0799
11/29/2011, 12:38 AM
I understand and thanks for ur help! That's why I'm trying to get all that out of the way now so that wen I get the tank I will be that much closer. And do I need a filter in the container? And how often to change the water?

chamjack
11/29/2011, 12:56 AM
You need a heater and something to give you water movement in the container. You wont need a filter. You are basically culturing the bacteria on the rock at this point. The bacteria is your filter. I wouldn't change any water until your ammonia and nitrite both reach zero. After that, a water change will help with the build up of nitrate and clean out some of the debris from the rock.

chris0799
11/29/2011, 01:03 AM
Got it! Ok one more question. Do I use the water I cycled it in in the container, or do I make all new saltwater to put in the tank?

And thank u so much for your help!

chamjack
11/29/2011, 01:23 AM
If the water params are stable and clean that the rock is in, you could use it. I would probably do half and half, and consider it a 50% water change when you set up the new one. That just MHO though. I'm sure you will get some more input on this thread from others too. Good luck :thumbsup:

Jonviviano
11/29/2011, 09:00 AM
If the water params are stable and clean that the rock is in, you could use it. I would probably do half and half, and consider it a 50% water change when you set up the new one. That just MHO though. I'm sure you will get some more input on this thread from others too. Good luck :thumbsup:

+1 this is how I would go about it. Good luck! But remember. If you place the rocks dry and uncured in your tank it gives you much for time, and ideas for aquascaping