PDA

View Full Version : 10g quarantine big enough?

Jfannin
11/26/2011, 08:19 PM
I read the FAQ quaritine thread and it said BIG. Would a 10g not work for fish.
Naturly I'll be doing a WC daily to keep Na down.

Tank is 24x11x9. 10.3g

b0bab0ey
11/27/2011, 12:27 AM
Depends on the size/how many fish you plan to QT. IMO a 10g would be fine for 1 or 2 small fish at a time.

Jfannin
11/27/2011, 06:19 AM
Ok cool. After I posted and went to sleep I realized I didn't post what I was trying to quaritine. But yah it would just be a fish or two at a time. Well two if I happen to find a male and female or somthing I want. Plus I only buy fish that are pretty young / small anyways. I just fill like they adapt better being young.

I'm about to start my new 120g sps reef and don't want to try my luck like with my 40 breeder. I was very lucky though.

b0bab0ey
11/27/2011, 11:23 AM
Ok cool. After I posted and went to sleep I realized I didn't post what I was trying to quaritine. But yah it would just be a fish or two at a time. Well two if I happen to find a male and female or somthing I want. Plus I only buy fish that are pretty young / small anyways. I just fill like they adapt better being young.

I'm about to start my new 120g sps reef and don't want to try my luck like with my 40 breeder. I was very lucky though.

What kind of filtration are you running on the 10g QT? A small HOB filter would be ideal but an air driven sponge filter would also work...

Jfannin
11/27/2011, 12:41 PM
Well I was just thinking a small Koraila 250 Would work with some LR with 1/2 w LED lighting. The lighing won't influence algea grouth and with dayly WC I figure I would be good. That way I could keep it up and running all the time. Figure when there isn't any fish in it I could prob cut back on the WC do to no waist. Figure the LR will maintain good water quality being there isn't anyhing in the tank as far as fish. But once it was time to quarantine a fish a good 100% WC and I'd be GTG.

Only thing I would have to remimber is when Tx with some meds I would / should remove the LR so that it doesn't jack up the LR.

So good?

b0bab0ey
11/27/2011, 02:03 PM
Well I was just thinking a small Koraila 250 Would work with some LR with 1/2 w LED lighting. The lighing won't influence algea grouth and with dayly WC I figure I would be good. That way I could keep it up and running all the time. Figure when there isn't any fish in it I could prob cut back on the WC do to no waist. Figure the LR will maintain good water quality being there isn't anyhing in the tank as far as fish. But once it was time to quarantine a fish a good 100% WC and I'd be GTG.

Only thing I would have to remimber is when Tx with some meds I would / should remove the LR so that it doesn't jack up the LR.

So good?

Sounds good, until (as you said) you have to medicate. Then you'd need a HOB or sponge filter to substitute for the LR. One poster here recommends always keeps a sponge filter or foam insert in the DT (behind the rocks) so it gets seeded with bacteria just in case. BOOM... instantly seeded filter, just in case. Ya hurd?

Jfannin
11/27/2011, 07:17 PM
Oh crap. I didn't even think about when I took the LR out. Shoot glad you said that. Half my filtering would be removed from the tank.

Wouldn't happen to remimber off hand what type of filters I should keep in the tank and what other I would want to keep handy.

I would assume I would keep the regular filter that comes with the cheep little HOB filters would stay in the tank all the time. Then place it in the HOB once the LR was removed. Thinking a ammonia filter pad would be a bad idea to have handy as well.

b0bab0ey
11/27/2011, 10:11 PM
Oh crap. I didn't even think about when I took the LR out. Shoot glad you said that. Half my filtering would be removed from the tank.

Wouldn't happen to remimber off hand what type of filters I should keep in the tank and what other I would want to keep handy.

I would assume I would keep the regular filter that comes with the cheep little HOB filters would stay in the tank all the time. Then place it in the HOB once the LR was removed. Thinking a ammonia filter pad would be a bad idea to have handy as well.

I use an AquaClear Power Filter in my QT. They come with a foam insert that you can stick in the DT behind the rocks and seed in 2-3 weeks. I'm guessing the AquaClear 20 or 30 would work best in a 10 gal QT. But you could also just buy one of those air driven sponge filters (see pic below) and do the same with that.

http://aquariummalta.com/images/thumbs/0000349_300.jpeg

sandwi54
11/28/2011, 01:47 PM
+1 on aquaclear HOB. it's cheap and actually very good for filtering purposes.

DoubleM 10
11/28/2011, 02:04 PM
what are you planning to qt with? i use copper as part of the qt and it would kill live rock. i use dry rock. if you are just observing the animal then you wll be ok with qt but then whats the point?

yes a 10g would be great for small fish. what kind of fish are you planning to qt?

i have a 14g biocube for qt and its great. i have a black ribbon eel in it right now. it has about 10lbs of dry rock. works great. it all depends on the size of the fish in question

Jfannin
11/28/2011, 06:26 PM
Well haven't really made a fish list yet. So I can't really say. It will fish for a 120g. I'm kinda a big fan of fish that tend to stay small. I fill it gives the impression of larger tank and also let's me keep severl fish yet keep a smaller bio load.