PDA

View Full Version : why is my skimmer always having a heavy stinking smell ?

chercm
11/26/2011, 09:32 PM
i have dismantle my skimmer - Deltec AP701 , i got no idea why it is so smelly and even my wife is complaining on this .

any one can help ?

OneReef
11/26/2011, 09:34 PM
Sounds like its working well, Ha

chercm
11/26/2011, 09:36 PM
Sounds like its working well, Ha

u serious about it , i kept it in the cabinet and my wife is complaning

SkullV
11/26/2011, 09:54 PM

Skimmate smells. Do you drain the cup into a drain bin or do you just empty the cup itself when it gets full? Check Avast Marine, they have carbon filled skimmer lids that will help with the smell. They also have the skimmate locker with a carbon filter.

tkeracer619
11/26/2011, 10:09 PM
??? are you trying to increase your post count to get into the selling forums!!!!!!!!?????

Anyways... put some baking soda in the collection cup. It will solve your issues. The smell is bacteria. Adding baking soda to the collection cup keeps the bacteria from growing and the smell to a minimum.

ridetheducati
11/27/2011, 09:34 AM
??? are you trying to increase your post count to get into the selling forums!!!!!!!!?????

Anyways... put some baking soda in the collection cup. It will solve your issues. The smell is bacteria. Adding baking soda to the collection cup keeps the bacteria from growing and the smell to a minimum.

1. Empty and clean skimmer cup.
2. Mix four ounces of water with Kalk and add to skimmer cup.
3. Repeat each time you clean the skimmer cup.

reefernutz
11/27/2011, 09:55 AM

Ok, it's fish poop.......it stinks! Plus, all of the skimmer lids have holes in them. The easiest way is to get a carbon lid from Avast, or to go to a LFS and get some large pellet carbon and a media bag. Cover the holes in the skimmer cup and you should be golden.

thor109
11/27/2011, 10:36 AM
When I added 15 lbs of ripe live rock mine was horrible for two weeks. Normally you can only smell it when the tank stand doors are open and you are close.

cody6766
11/27/2011, 12:18 PM
It's poo, it doesn't smell like roses. I think the carbon lid and/or the baking soda would be great options. I'll have to give it a shot when I get mine back up and running.