PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on possible tank build.

Amon Ra Reptile
11/27/2011, 09:30 AM
Ok so I won't be doing an actual build until summer of next year and I'm thinking that it will probably undergo many changes by then but I figure I can post my ideas here and get opinions from those of you who have experience with reef tanks and maybe you can help me with avoiding the pit falls.

I plan to build a plywood tank approx. 300 gallon. The dimensions will be 96x24x30tall. I was thinking of making false ends on the tank so that I could make overflows on each end and also have room to run return plumbing inside the overflow then just drill the ends near the trot forthe returns. That way I could hide the returns in the front corners of the tank. Thoughts on how this would do for water flow?

The current plan is Plywood and fiberglass with 1/2" glass front. I am planning to build a 100-150 gallon sump and also a seperate fuge but haven't decided on size for the fuge yet. Opinions?

Also, a question about support. This tank will be running along a non load bearing wall on the first floor of a house with a full basement so I know some floor support will be needed. My thought was to build framing in the basement underneath the tank of 2x6 wall studs and double each stud to essentially make 4x6 wall studs on 12" centers the length of the tank. We are currently renting this house but plan to attempt to purchase the home toward the end of next year and if we do we will be upgrading the size of the tank to a 700 gallon built in installation and this 300 will become the sump for that tank. Anyway, I would like suggestions on how to support the floor in a way that would also be able to support that tank as well. I am also planning to double the floor joists that the tank will sit. The tank will be sitting the WRONG way on these joists. It will run parallel to the joists.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer. I apologize if any of these questions seem trivial. I am new to the hobby and just want to make sure the plan I have is the right one by the time I get ready to begin my build. :)

Amon Ra Reptile
11/28/2011, 09:23 AM
Noone has any thoughts????

Sugar Magnolia
11/28/2011, 09:33 AM
Head over to the DIY section. There are several plywood tank builds you can check out. One I know..."mountains of sawdust" is a great build thread. Use the "search this forum" on the top right of the forom page.

Good luck with your build and be sure to start a thread so others can follow along.

Amon Ra Reptile
11/28/2011, 08:59 PM
Yea I've been reading those threads (200+ pages :) ) there are some amazing builds there. I'm just trying to get the first rough ideas for my own build.