PDA

View Full Version : Sponge ID + care

tubastrea1
11/27/2011, 11:03 AM
Hi guys,

I coudn't resist to this amazing sponge, but no idea how is called nor how to care (where should I place it under light or shadow?) and how to feed it.
can anybody help me?
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/tubastrea_photo/P1020522.jpg

thanks in advance.

luca

jbonez
11/27/2011, 11:14 AM
nice find

username in use
11/27/2011, 11:25 AM
That doesn't even look real. I would start with just normal filter feeding stuff. Phyto, oyster feast, juice from thawed foods, maybe even something as big as rotifers would help.

Bongo Shrimp
11/27/2011, 12:52 PM
Next time you need to research that BEFORE you buy! That is a tough one to care for. It is not a sponge but a colonial tunicate. I think Aquabacs has one.

toontjuh
11/27/2011, 01:57 PM
bongo shrimp is right !!! : botrylloides

tubastrea1
11/27/2011, 04:43 PM
bongo shrimp is right !!! : botrylloides

Yes, I think both of you are right. Following you're indication I could find this web site where I think he belongs:Botrylloides magnicoecum.
Now I just need to know if need to be placed in light and what is eating.

http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine/JUN06/Magnificent_Ascidian(Botrylloides_magnicoecum).html

Aquabacs
11/27/2011, 09:11 PM
Hi guys,

I coudn't resist to this amazing sponge, but no idea how is called nor how to care (where should I place it under light or shadow?) and how to feed it.
can anybody help me?
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/tubastrea_photo/P1020522.jpg

thanks in advance.

luca

The tunicate pictured is Botryllus leachii. Right now it is going through it's blastogenesis phase and should be looking better within the next 24 hours from the time that picture being taken, it should go through this phase every 4-5 days as it grows.

Mike

tubastrea1
11/28/2011, 12:23 AM
The tunicate pictured is Botryllus leachii. Right now it is going through it's blastogenesis phase and should be looking better within the next 24 hours from the time that picture being taken, it should go through this phase every 4-5 days as it grows.
Mike

Aquabacs, thanks for the info.
I've currently a photosintetic tank, not set for filters feeders.
So please can you tell me if :
he tollerate the lights or need to be completely shaded,
if I've to targetly feed him (and what)
the level of flow required.

thanks in advance.:beer:

Luca

Aquabacs
11/28/2011, 12:37 PM
Aquabacs, thanks for the info.
I've currently a photosintetic tank, not set for filters feeders.
So please can you tell me if :
he tollerate the lights or need to be completely shaded,
if I've to targetly feed him (and what)
the level of flow required.

thanks in advance.:beer:

Luca

Hello Luca,

I mentioned this in a different forum (I do not have permission to mention on RC)
For feeding any food specifically for them...I would be lieing if I told you I did. I can do a run down of everything that is currently being added to the tank if that would help you out. They are kept in very high flow (close to a Vortech MP40 & MP10) and kept in close to the darkest section of the tank. Not like there is a whole lot of light being used over the tank to start with (2 PAR38 LED spot lamps lamps are used 4 hours each for the day).

Water changes are done Wednesday & Saturday, 16 gallons, ESV salt, Magnesium adjusted up to 1400, and salinity at 35 ppt.

For liquids that are dosed other than the Reef Nutrition foods (Shellfish Diet, Rotifeast,Articpods, Oysterfeast) are 4ml Fauna Marin MinD is added a day as well as 4ml of Methanol.

This does not include the dry feeds that are also fed into my tank (Fauna Marin MinF, Clam, SeaFan, Zoa/Acan foods).

Now for your situation since it is not going into a tank set up for specifically filter feeders I will give you a few options (besides the wise guy remark of sending it over to me). First, for your tank I would personally keep it out of direct light, dont want algae to possibly grow over it. Second, it is going to need a decent amount of flow going over the tunicate colony. Third, at minimum have a phytoplankton source (for example Phytofeast by Reef Nutrition) and bacterioplankton source (easiest for your situation would be to set up a bag of bioballs prior to the return pump and shake the bag a few times a day. This will allow the films on the bioballs to enter the tank for a food source for the tunicate).

Mike

tubastrea1
11/28/2011, 01:40 PM
Hello Luca,

I mentioned this in a different forum (I do not have permission to mention on RC)
For feeding any food specifically for them...I would be lieing if I told you I did. I can do a run down of everything that is currently being added to the tank if that would help you out. They are kept in very high flow (close to a Vortech MP40 & MP10) and kept in close to the darkest section of the tank. Not like there is a whole lot of light being used over the tank to start with (2 PAR38 LED spot lamps lamps are used 4 hours each for the day).

Water changes are done Wednesday & Saturday, 16 gallons, ESV salt, Magnesium adjusted up to 1400, and salinity at 35 ppt.

For liquids that are dosed other than the Reef Nutrition foods (Shellfish Diet, Rotifeast,Articpods, Oysterfeast) are 4ml Fauna Marin MinD is added a day as well as 4ml of Methanol.

This does not include the dry feeds that are also fed into my tank (Fauna Marin MinF, Clam, SeaFan, Zoa/Acan foods).

Now for your situation since it is not going into a tank set up for specifically filter feeders I will give you a few options (besides the wise guy remark of sending it over to me). First, for your tank I would personally keep it out of direct light, dont want algae to possibly grow over it. Second, it is going to need a decent amount of flow going over the tunicate colony. Third, at minimum have a phytoplankton source (for example Phytofeast by Reef Nutrition) and bacterioplankton source (easiest for your situation would be to set up a bag of bioballs prior to the return pump and shake the bag a few times a day. This will allow the films on the bioballs to enter the tank for a food source for the tunicate).

Mike

Mike thanks,
very helpful and detailed.
By the way I've in my tank (800lt) 3XMP60 and I also used to breed some phyto (typically was nanocloropsys, do you think could it be ok?).
I can also easily set up bioballs or zeolite to be shaken daily.
I'll keep you informed on the development.
thanks.
Luca