PDA

View Full Version : Where did my Chaeto go?

Reef Doctor
11/27/2011, 11:37 PM
I have a newly set up refugium, approx 3 months old. I put in a ball of chaeto about 1.5 months ago. Had lights on it 24 hrs a day but it didn't seem to grow. Now it has disintigrated and basically disappeared. What did I do wrong. The refugium is 10 gal, part of a 30 gal sump/refugium.

chefgreg
11/28/2011, 06:15 AM
What lights are you using? How established is your DT tank? Could be wrong type of light or not enough flow. Chaeto likes lots of flow.

jimrawr
11/28/2011, 09:01 AM
Same experience as me on my 92g system. I can't grow chaeto and I know it's not my light. Basically chaeto needs nitrates much more than it needs po4. If you don't have nitrates you can't grow chaeto very well if at all

Reef Doctor
11/28/2011, 11:34 PM
My lights are two compact fluorescent bulbs. They are heavy on the blue wavelength, although I can't recall what kind. I was wondering if they are too blue, and maybe I need something closer to a 6500K daylight or something? Flow is actually intense. The inlet from the DT goes directly in to the refugium. I was actually thinking there may be too much flow? The nitrates were pretty high, but now only about 5. If I had to guess, it died due to improper lighting. What kind of lights should I use?

lordofthereef
11/29/2011, 01:00 AM
It's likely improper light, flow, nutrients, or any combination of those three. Tough to say, really. Are you having algae issues in the display?

hollister
11/29/2011, 01:12 AM
You need a light thats rated same as outdoor light.
Then you dont need cheato for tangs. You need to feed him meat and veggie. You can get nori and clip small amouts on once a week or so.

DaveWF
11/29/2011, 09:18 AM
I use a 6500k CFL with a lighting schedule opposite of my tank (on and night and off during the day) and my chaeto grows like gangbusters.
I picked up a 2 pack of the bulbs at Wal-Mart for somewhere around $10. Perhaps try a new bulb and changing the lighting schedule...?

potterjon
11/29/2011, 09:25 AM
Is it possible that you simply don't have enough nutrients in the tank? I had the same problem when I had chaeto, it just wouldn't grow, but it stayed the same size for over a year. I just don't think there were enough nutrients in the tank for it to grow.

Reef Doctor
11/29/2011, 04:30 PM
Is it possible that you simply don't have enough nutrients in the tank? I had the same problem when I had chaeto, it just wouldn't grow, but it stayed the same size for over a year. I just don't think there were enough nutrients in the tank for it to grow.
It may be a nutrient issue. Everything is balanced pretty well now, and the first fish to the tank were just added a couple weeks ago. Maybe I need a higher bioload first, then the nutrient levels will increase. I think that nutrient load and lighting are probably the key issues. Related to flow, should I have high flow or low flow in the refugium?