PDA

View Full Version : Gorgonian ID Please

oceanseekers
11/28/2011, 12:42 AM
Hi Guys

Im trying to catalogue the list of corals in my tank and looking to id with scientific name

Hi Guys, Im still looking for an ID on this Gorgonian. Here is an update

Since the other pic [see below] which was taken just after introducing it to my main tank, the polyps refused to open. It got completely covered in algae and stayed like that for while. Then just last week it shed a layer and the polyps now open beautifully. I still think its a photo-synthetic gorgonian. Here is a close up pic to help with an ID on it if anyone can

Close-up Pic
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae156/oceanseeker/OS%20-%20Gorgonians/Oceanseeker500LAquarium-Gorgonians-Unknown.jpg

Full Specimen on LHS Pic
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae156/oceanseeker/OS%20-%20Gorgonians/Oceanseeker500LAquarium-Gorgonians-Various.jpg

oceanseekers
11/28/2011, 02:07 AM
Hi Guys, I think this is a Pterogorgia anceps or commonly know as Purple Sea Blade

Here is some info from a fellow reefer on another forum

Pterogorgia is beautiful Gorgonian that is often found in a stunning purple color with white polyps that will often extend well beyond the tissue. It is easy to identify as the branches look like they have been flattened and the polyps do not occur all of the way around the branches but only along the edges of the “blades”.

Captive care is similar to many other corals. I have personally had success with this coral under VHO’s, Power Compacts, T5′s, and Metal Halides. I would say that VHOs and T5s resulted in the best growth rates. Make sure you keep a stronger but interrupted current on this coral and keep other corals especially SPS upwind of Pterogorgia. It regularly sloughs off an outer layer of tissue which should be removed from any corals that it settles on. As a rule Gorgonians can be pretty toxic to stony corals (pretty much all corals have some way to defend themselves). So just make sure you give it adequate space.

Feeding and care are really not something I have had to really spend a lot of time on. I have seen the polyps catch fairly large particles of flake food, frozen food, and detritus when I stir it up with the old turkey baster. If you don’t have one it is a great way to stir things up when you are cleaning your tank.

Propogation of Pterogoria and all Gorgonians is very easy. You can cut it with a razor blade or small scissors. The center is going to look like and feel similar to a stick. You can then take out a small rock and superglue the Gorgonian or attach the branch with a zip tie if you can find a small hole in the rock.

staceyd72
11/28/2011, 07:28 AM
Try posting in the Coral Forum section...nice looking Gorgonians.

oceanseekers
11/28/2011, 10:38 AM
Try posting in the Coral Forum section...nice looking Gorgonians.

Thanks Stacey