PDA

View Full Version : rimless or eurobrace

ssminnow81
11/28/2011, 10:45 AM
im going to have a tank made 40x30x17 1/2in thick glass. i love the look of rimless but im not sure if its safer to go with braced. any1 with these measurements or close to it that can give some info?

Allmost
11/28/2011, 10:52 AM
my tank is 6'x2x2

I wanted to go rimless, since I love the look and all my smaller tanks are rimless.

but the manufacturer made a mistake and made it with euro brace ... me being too lazy to return it [also got a discount decided to keep it and cant be happier now ! most importantly when cleaning the glass water doesnt splash out, also when putting hands in the tank, you have an edge to work on as well. since your tank is only 17" tall, then you wont have much Issues reaching the sand with your hand as well with Euro brace..

and lastly if the tank is high enough, noone is going to see the euro brace ! but if low / top down look tank then you would be happier with rimless.

HTH,

geaux xman
11/28/2011, 11:01 AM
with those dimensions you are okay using 1/2" glass for a rimless tank.

i've seen rimless tanks from very reputable builders(leemar/miracles) going as big as 48x30x20 on 1/2" glass.

if i were you i would opt for a 48" tank and 18-20" tall. at least go with 18".

you're currently at 88gal with those dimensions measuring the outside of the tank. when you factor in glass thickness, sand, rock, and waterline, you will have less than 50g of water. JMO.

davocean
11/28/2011, 11:06 AM
After having a couple rimless tanks I'm much happier in my new tank that is eurobraced.
The rimless look great, but every time I used a mag float or scraper, or even put my hand in there when a vort is ramping up I get splash on the outside of the tank.
Just got to be annoying after a while, always cleaning the front panel from the slightest splash.
Plus my snails were crawling out all the time.

ssminnow81
11/28/2011, 09:13 PM
i would love to go 48 in but dont have the room. i know about the splashing but im more concerned about the fact the tank stays in one piece.

Neoferdina
11/28/2011, 10:55 PM
You'll be fine. If you use a tank glass thickness calculator, the safety factors it spits out are for frameless tanks. You in the safe zone. Rimless all the way!

Pylos
11/28/2011, 11:08 PM
I prefer eurobrace myself, especially if you plan on using a canopy.

ssminnow81
11/29/2011, 10:12 AM
no canopy. the guy whos making it told me itll b fine without the brace but im still worried

davocean
11/29/2011, 10:22 AM
Those size panels I would not worry about it structurally, it will be fine.

lluv24
11/29/2011, 11:10 AM
I've talked to a lot of hobbiest that have had and heard of the rimless tanks not holding up. I'm in the market for a new tank as well, and I love the rimless look but it makes since to me that the brace is meant for a reason. Just my 2 cents. Eurobrace is my choice. Why not be safe.

kc350twin
11/29/2011, 11:31 AM
Who's making the tank? A reputable builder should tell you what it's going to be made out of. I agree the 1/2" glass is fine. Miracle's temper's the bottoms and that's how they get away with going bigger on thinner glass. Even GC's is tempering now.

JSeymour
11/29/2011, 12:00 PM
Just got to be annoying after a while, always cleaning the front panel from the slightest splash.
Plus my snails were crawling out all the time.

+1

I constantly find cerith snails on the ground, even the occasional hermit. Depending on the current in the tank and water level, a larger snail near the surface can create a wave that pours over the edge until it's moved. Eurobraced for sure!