PDA

View Full Version : QT really necessary?

Bens_Reef
11/28/2011, 04:44 PM
is it still necessary to QT a fish for 4-6 weeks if the place you get them from does it before you get them?

blt
11/28/2011, 04:50 PM
Still <u>absolutely, 100%</u> necessary? No.

Still <u>absolutely, 100%</u> a good idea? Yes. The store QT may deal with any illness or parasite (if done properly), but you should still QT for observation and acclimation.

Ron Reefman
11/28/2011, 06:53 PM
Lots of people get fish, coral and other animals and put them directly in their DT. It happens way more often than most here would like to admit. And alot, maybe most, never have a problem. But think about it this way, you've spent how much time and money getting the system set up and cycled, then you get a fish and just put it in the tank. Then another fish and then you splurge and get a $150 fish... oh, but that first fish you put in had ich and you couldn't see it at the time, some fish can carry it and not be seriously affected by it. But now your expensive new fish has it! And the fuller your tank is with fish and corals, the more you have to lose. And between you and me, I wouldn't trust a fish from a LFS any further than I could throw my 20g QT, no matter what they say. Maybe, maybe, maybe a fish from a friend who I am ABSOLUTELY sure of... naw, no worth the risk.

Viking Dr
11/28/2011, 07:04 PM
I got two fish from a friends store that I new had been with him for 8+ weeks, assured me it was heathy and for the most part is, brought it home. Debated weather to QT, got talked out of it from a few peeps. (Not from this site) and now I had to catch and treat all 4 fish from my 90 gal tank. ICH. Sucks should of qt from the start. If you have the time to be in this hobby, you have time to QT. DO IT!!!!!

snupa
11/28/2011, 07:09 PM
For Corals I use a dip bath and fish you could do a freshwater dip. The bottom line is you should, but don't have to. Just beware of the consequences that could happen!

RubberFrog
11/28/2011, 07:21 PM
You could also share needles... just sayin'.

Bens_Reef
11/28/2011, 07:44 PM
What about if its the only fish or first fish?

andy51656
11/28/2011, 08:01 PM
It is a great idea but make sure your QT is properly equipted. Some people let their fish slowly die in their QTs because they have little or no filtration. Spend a little bit of money getting a good QT system if you are going to use one.

ibefishy
11/28/2011, 10:13 PM
Always qt a new fish. I just returned a fish that was sold to me Saturday as a reef safe fish, brought him home started him in qt, did more research on it and ended up taking it back today as it was not the reef safe variety. Had no trouble catching him and didnt have to disrupt my tank at all.

00Warpig00
11/28/2011, 10:20 PM
Lots of people get fish, coral and other animals and put them directly in their DT. It happens way more often than most here would like to admit. And alot, maybe most, never have a problem. But think about it this way, you've spent how much time and money getting the system set up and cycled, then you get a fish and just put it in the tank. Then another fish and then you splurge and get a $150 fish... oh, but that first fish you put in had ich and you couldn't see it at the time, some fish can carry it and not be seriously affected by it. But now your expensive new fish has it! And the fuller your tank is with fish and corals, the more you have to lose. And between you and me, I wouldn't trust a fish from a LFS any further than I could throw my 20g QT, no matter what they say. Maybe, maybe, maybe a fish from a friend who I am ABSOLUTELY sure of... naw, no worth the risk.

couldnt agree more!!!

I got two fish from a friends store that I new had been with him for 8+ weeks, assured me it was heathy and for the most part is, brought it home. Debated weather to QT, got talked out of it from a few peeps. (Not from this site) and now I had to catch and treat all 4 fish from my 90 gal tank. ICH. Sucks should of qt from the start. If you have the time to be in this hobby, you have time to QT. DO IT!!!!!

All it takes is one infected fish...

You could also share needles... just sayin'.

This is kinda how I look at this topic. I treat my QT tank like a biohazard until I'm reasonably sure it isn't one. And Im not reasonably sure for at least 4 weeks

What about if its the only fish or first fish?

If it's the only fish and will be the ONLY fish for at least the next 4-6 weeks and there is no live rock in the tank or other critters I might agree with this.

Nick

benningtondt8
11/28/2011, 10:34 PM
Save yourself future migraines and $$$ QT. I do hypo on all fish for 2 weeks, then if there was never sign of disease they go to the display. If they show any sign of parasitic disease they stay in hypo for 2 weeks past the last sighting of disease.

mnowicki
11/28/2011, 10:53 PM
100% necessary from my experience. Would've definitely 100% quit the hobby if I didn't QT.

my 1 year experience in saltwater:
-Quarantined all my fish 6+ weeks
-Purchased 11 fish total. Of the 11, 8 showed signs of sickness after being brought home (all ate at the store or were received in good shape, were fat, and looked 100% healthy during day 1)
-Only 3/11 never showed signs of sickness during 6+ week period

I think I've had bad luck overall, but it just goes to show you. I don't know anyone that would've let their tank go fallow 8 times in one year to keep trying the saltwater hobby. QT is so easy if done right, and if the fish is sick, its simple to cure them if you do your homework.

I could only guess not quarantining is why people most often get out of the hobby eventually, its that one "last" fish or that lfs fish that one just "has to have" that kills it all. After dumping hundreds if not thousands of dollars into the hobby, i could see it being really hard to do it all again after a wipeout.

Matt

b0bab0ey
11/28/2011, 11:09 PM
is it still necessary to QT a fish for 4-6 weeks if the place you get them from does it before you get them?

Absolutely! How many other fish have come and gone from the tank that fish was in? Even if the fish was in a tank all by itself, do you really trust the employees to rinse off their hands or use different nets/scrapers every time they go from tank to tank? Or if it's a place with multiple tanks all running off one big system, do you trust them to run a UV at a slow enough flow to be effective and change the bulb every 6 months? Just too many "Murphy's Law" scenarios for my comfort level...

sage12177
11/28/2011, 11:27 PM
I lost a pair of platinum clowns (supposedly the most hardy and of course the most expensive in the tank) because I didn't quarantine. Unless you want to take that chance on killing things, quarantine. Not quarantining is kind of like having a one night stand and not using a condom. They might look respectable and clean, but is it really worth the risk????

lordofthereef
11/29/2011, 12:57 AM
Here's the thing. If you know the store owner and know their procedure, no it's not necessary. But I mean really know the store owner. PERSONALLY. I have a store owner that I really do trust does a proper quarantine. He has been part of our reef club for many years and relatively recently opened up shop. He is very open with letting people see his quarantine room (which is about the size of his show room where fish that are for sale are displayed) and has a very strict quarantine in place. This is extremely rare. When I move back to California here in a few years, I am certainly not going to trust anyone to do a job this well for a very long time (if ever).

All that said, the only way to truly know your fish is healthy is through quarantine. Anything short of that you are simply putting your trust into someone else.

jonathansruelas
11/29/2011, 02:00 AM
Take it from me it saves headaches !!! You don't want to cycle your tank then add fish without quarantine only to find ich and leave you tank empty for another 6-8 weeks trust us , be patient I know it's hard

andy51656
11/29/2011, 07:38 AM
It is part of the process. True reefers love the process. So try to enjoy it.

Bens_Reef
11/29/2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks everyone who posted, lots of good info here and in the acclimation sticky about this. you all have made it very clear about having fish QT first.

sucker_fish
11/29/2011, 08:26 AM
yes, quarantine....just in case you haven't been told enough. Its not necessary but when you lose a couple grand worth of stuff in your tank you will wish you did. Just because a fish was quarantined at the LFS, even if they did it 100% right, theres still a chance that they could get stressed when added to your tank and things could go bad.