PDA

View Full Version : adjusting flow for herbie

Jerdel
11/28/2011, 05:26 PM
So is this correct, 1 pipe is higher and that would be the emergeny overflow with no need for a gate valve. The full siphon pipe would be lower than the emergency pipe and I should adjust my gate valve on the full siphon to closely match the pump return or just a tad bit less so a tiny bit of water will constantly go down the emergeny drain?

reefkeeper78
11/28/2011, 05:48 PM
You want to adjust it so the overflow has a consistent water level. The easiest way I have found to do that is to adjust the level by watching the emergency drain. restrict the gate valve so the water flows through the E drain then very slowly open the gate valve untill the water just trickles out or stops from the E drain. Then wait a few minutes to see if the water level drops inside the overflow. If it does, you'll hear a loud sucking gurgling sound. Its a balancing act but pretty easy to do once you start doing it.

WI reefer55
11/28/2011, 06:22 PM
yep your correct jerdel a slow trickel down the emergency drain and full siphon on the other I placed my emergency drain about 1" taller than the siphon and 1" lower than the over flow.

It works great you will be happy with the Herbie

daplatapus
11/28/2011, 06:23 PM
Unless you're running a full siphon herbie. Then you are correct, your first pipe will be totally under water (mine is 4-5" lower than the water level in my overflow) and personally, I have my gate valve adjusted so that just a trickle is going down the emergency drain.