PDA

View Full Version : Cube with center overflow and wires

Radix
11/29/2011, 07:30 AM
Im looking for a new project, and thought of a semi-good idea, but need input on it.

I always get ****ed off at the wires hanging off of tanks, and it gets cluttered. Would there be a way to make a cube, and drill it from the bottom, put in black PVC, and have sort of a mushroom shape (top being the light), and then the wires, and filtration would leave through the center. is it possible, if so, how Could I go about doing it?

There would be no sump so the only drill would be the bottom glass to allow the cords through.
Then seal it off with PVC and have a larger tube of PVC around it. I could make it so the water flows over the top of the PVC, flows through a sponge, and some other carbon and stuff in socks, and then have another section with LR rubble, then exits the bottom. The only problem I have is how coul I make the falling process work it would just stay stagnant. How could I do a square or circular light and where should I place the power heads?

5pacey
11/29/2011, 08:29 AM
...if so, how Could I go about doing it?
Sure you can do it. As long as the bottom pane is drillable, you can just drill a hole put a bulkhead in (like a regular overflow drain) and make the pipe taller than the tank. Then no water will ever go there and you can run wires etc and use the pipe as support for light(s). Everything else you can work around it.

Spacey :)

Radix
11/29/2011, 09:01 AM
Well there would be no sump, the overflow would be IN the tank in the pvc

Radix
11/29/2011, 09:09 AM
Should I push the water from the bottom up? I feel like I could do that instead of a powerhead

NanoReefWanabe
11/29/2011, 10:21 AM
there really isnt a way for you to accomplish this that wont take up a tonne of room..

may i ask why no sump?

i only ask as my tank is set up the way you wont more or less, but i use a sump..my return line, and power wires for my powerheads come up the drainline...my light fixture is mounted threw the top of the stand though..so i have no wires hanging over the side of the tank. no exposed plumbing, and no distractions...(well that depends if you call sitting on your computer staring into the tank instead of work a distraction or not)

otherwise if you want the tank to be an AIO (all in one) then you have to make the box big enough to hold all the equipment too...which really starts to eat up a lot of space, especially if it is in the centre of the tank with rocks all around it...

Radix
11/29/2011, 10:57 AM
I have no room for a sump. After making this successfully, I could try making a stand with sump, and then sell it after. And also I have never used a sump or researched it so have no experience with it.

I was thinking of having it flow down from the top, go through a ph pad, trickle down to some carbon and stuff, and flos, then down to some live rock, and then pump it back out. Sort of like the biocube, but in the center

Chris27
11/29/2011, 11:28 AM
In theory it can work as an internal overflow, you'll want to keep the top of it covered, as it will quickly turn into a small algea scrubber with all that light blasting into it.

Radix
11/29/2011, 12:20 PM
Well I'm trying to get a light that will go around it, but a top was going to be made too. I was going to make holes in the PVC for it to exit