PDA

View Full Version : This is my rant

joemelo
11/29/2011, 03:10 PM
Like the title says, this is my rant. After being in the hobby I try to help out every newcomer that asks for advice in the local area. Most of which listen but occasionally you get the impatient explicit, that says just because he had seen ONE person do it and it's the fastest way he is dead set on doing it.
First off he says:

"Tank is about two weeks old. I added this product called Cycle which states fish are safe to added after 24hours. "

so he proceeds to toss in a chromis is his 55 with brand new rock and a hangon the back filter as his only source of filtration.
I tell him take the fish back and wait atleast 3 more weeks, and that he should have put the cocktail shrimp in 2 weeks ago like I told him.

then he messages back with this:
Now...have you ever used cycle? probably not. What worked for you is probably what you think is the only way to do it, because it worked!!!

I understand where your coming from, but the hobby has REALLY evolved. However, it seems hard to evolve with the hobbiests because they are so reluctant to take chances and are not open to new ideas because what worked for them is the only way to do it. Seeing as cycle is a new product and if people start using it and finding success and spreading the word, than maybe this will take off and be more expectable.

I told him I have used Cycle! it's garbage... .It's a bandaid for impatient people who don't want to wait for their tank to cycle properly. he's trying to tell me the hobby has evolved and he's being some sort of pioneer by using these methods ahaha. After I proceed to tell him cycle has been around for as long as I could remember.

he tells me this:
I'm not using the fish to actually cycle the tank. The tank is actually ready for fish!! I remember when people use to be against skimmers and thought they were garbage! Just remember that! You need to be open minded and thats what wrong with this hobby!

Now folks. REMEMBER this is after TWO WEEKS!!! with no live rock or live sand. he also tells me how he seen the local fish store use a hang on the back filter on one of their tanks... I explained to them that it was one tank in the whole store, and fish don't stay in that tank long enough to matter. it's a holding tank.

he then replies:
Forums are full of stubborn opionotic people and is hiearchy and what they say goes. New people have no choice but to listen to their opinion. Listen my grandma has been gardening for 20 years and I tell her fertilizer is better and shell tell me BS and still uses old school cow crap to help her plants grow. You might still be stuck on cow crap tradition and I jumped on the fertilizer method. Again I'll let u know how it goes. Just don't knock something u don know about

once again. the newbie with the 2 week old tank is telling me how innovative he is by using his methods...

I don't know if I was too harsh on him, but I was tired of talking to someone that didn't want to learn and just wanted to waste money and kill fish. I wasn't the only member to talk to him either. He also heard it hard from a few other members. So after a while I told him this

"at the end of the day, you don't want to listen to the great advice of the forum members, and "test " out "new" theories that are actually failing methods then I guess as long as you're happy that's all that matters. I have a friend with an old undergravel filter for sale if you're interested... they used those in the 80's"

Not saying undergravel filters are bad, but you get what I'm saying.... It's all well, I saw someone do this and I don't want to wait so I will do it too.

sorry for the rant but someone out there has to agree with me, and maybe leave some advice I can message him with since apparently I don't know what I'm talking about coming from the owner of a 2 week old tank, in which he uses tap water, hangon the back filter, and claims he didn't cycle with a chromis because the chemical did it for him.....

Lynnmw1208
11/29/2011, 03:12 PM
meh, he'll find out what will happen when he puts about 6 other fish in there in a week.... some people just don't listen!

Psirex
11/29/2011, 03:15 PM
Like the title says, this is my rant. After being in the hobby I try to help out every newcomer that asks for advice in the local area. Most of which listen but occasionally you get the impatient explicit, that says just because he had seen ONE person do it and it's the fastest way he is dead set on doing it.
First off he says:

"Tank is about two weeks old. I added this product called Cycle which states fish are safe to added after 24hours. "

so he proceeds to toss in a chromis is his 55 with brand new rock and a hangon the back filter as his only source of filtration.
I tell him take the fish back and wait atleast 3 more weeks, and that he should have put the cocktail shrimp in 2 weeks ago like I told him.

then he messages back with this:
Now...have you ever used cycle? probably not. What worked for you is probably what you think is the only way to do it, because it worked!!!

I understand where your coming from, but the hobby has REALLY evolved. However, it seems hard to evolve with the hobbiests because they are so reluctant to take chances and are not open to new ideas because what worked for them is the only way to do it. Seeing as cycle is a new product and if people start using it and finding success and spreading the word, than maybe this will take off and be more expectable.

I told him I have used Cycle! it's garbage... .It's a bandaid for impatient people who don't want to wait for their tank to cycle properly. he's trying to tell me the hobby has evolved and he's being some sort of pioneer by using these methods ahaha. After I proceed to tell him cycle has been around for as long as I could remember.

he tells me this:
I'm not using the fish to actually cycle the tank. The tank is actually ready for fish!! I remember when people use to be against skimmers and thought they were garbage! Just remember that! You need to be open minded and thats what wrong with this hobby!

Now folks. REMEMBER this is after TWO WEEKS!!! with no live rock or live sand. he also tells me how he seen the local fish store use a hang on the back filter on one of their tanks... I explained to them that it was one tank in the whole store, and fish don't stay in that tank long enough to matter. it's a holding tank.

he then replies:
Forums are full of stubborn opionotic people and is hiearchy and what they say goes. New people have no choice but to listen to their opinion. Listen my grandma has been gardening for 20 years and I tell her fertilizer is better and shell tell me BS and still uses old school cow crap to help her plants grow. You might still be stuck on cow crap tradition and I jumped on the fertilizer method. Again I'll let u know how it goes. Just don't knock something u don know about

once again. the newbie with the 2 week old tank is telling me how innovative he is by using his methods...

I don't know if I was too harsh on him, but I was tired of talking to someone that didn't want to learn and just wanted to waste money and kill fish. I wasn't the only member to talk to him either. He also heard it hard from a few other members. So after a while I told him this

"at the end of the day, you don't want to listen to the great advice of the forum members, and "test " out "new" theories that are actually failing methods then I guess as long as you're happy that's all that matters. I have a friend with an old undergravel filter for sale if you're interested... they used those in the 80's"

Not saying undergravel filters are bad, but you get what I'm saying.... It's all well, I saw someone do this and I don't want to wait so I will do it too.

sorry for the rant but someone out there has to agree with me, and maybe leave some advice I can message him with since apparently I don't know what I'm talking about coming from the owner of a 2 week old tank, in which he uses tap water, hangon the back filter, and claims he didn't cycle with a chromis because the chemical did it for him.....

Let him learn the hard way....

joemelo
11/29/2011, 03:16 PM
I gave this guy MORE than enough information about every step to start the cycle.
cycle with the shrimp. don't waste money on liverock, don't use tap water, many members offered him help with a sump, anyone would have done water testing for him. I have plenty of good guys in my club and we all help each other out. he just wants the fastest chemical solution.

mikejrice
11/29/2011, 03:17 PM
He sounds like one that needs to learn through experience, so I wouldn't waste your advice on him. Save it for people that will take it.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

joemelo
11/29/2011, 03:19 PM
This goes out to all the new hobbyists. I know it's hard to get good advice, and you have to be careful of wrong advice. But when you have a club full of experienced reef keepers, and the 1000's of people on RC all say the same,.... it's probably right.

kotu100
11/29/2011, 03:22 PM
Some people can't be taught, they must learn on their own.
BTW i used cycle too, deff dont work. (and i had live rock)

joemelo
11/29/2011, 03:23 PM
I'm worried about the guy stressing out the fish, infecting his tank with ich and never being able to put a new fish in without it getting ich. I'm not worried about the guy as far as being turned off from the hobby, he doesn't want to listen he is on his own from here. I'm worried about all the fish he is going to kill, that could have been left in the ocean. Just like other hobbyists that do the same

Metal Man 1221
11/29/2011, 03:50 PM
I know how you feel. Its hard to watch some people try to rush the hobby and kill as many organisms as they see fit before they get too frustrated and sell everything.

Some day, however, they will learn that patience is the key.

rrasco
11/29/2011, 04:10 PM
“The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract.”

-Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

JNicho
11/29/2011, 04:11 PM
The sad thing to me is these are the types that give the rest of the hobby a bad name.

BlueCorn
11/29/2011, 04:19 PM
I'm closing this. These types of threads are never a good idea. They always degrade to a bunch of name-calling and they make everyone in the hobby look bad.

It IS sad to see someone who refuses to take direction but the very real fact of the matter is that every one of us who have ever purchased a single wild caught fish/colony is responsible for dozens of deaths.