PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon Mixed Reef Tank T5

msl5078
11/29/2011, 08:35 PM
Hi everyone,

I am currently getting my 90 gallon tank set up and I have a few questions about lighting. I know MHs are the light of choice for SPS dominated tanks but I currently do not have the $$$ to buy them or pay for the electricity. I was able to pick up a NovaUSA 6x54 watt HOT5 fixture (324 watts). I was planning on using all 6 bulbs in the fixture using 3 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Aquablue Special, and 1 ATI Purple Plus Bulb.

Do you think this is enough for a 90 gallon mixed reef tank?

Thanks,
mike

dan-in-gr
11/29/2011, 08:46 PM
Yes, your 6 bulb T5 will work fine and be much cooler than MH and cost less for electicity.

Ferguson1977
11/29/2011, 08:47 PM
You should be fine with those lights. I have 6 39w T5's over my 65G and was concerned like you when I first bought it. I figured SPS would have to be kept very high and the sandbed would be low light. Turns out all SPS I've tried so far are happy mid to high in the tank and low light corals (my acans and favias) need to be kept on the bottom and in the shade.

My favorite T5 combos are 4 Blue Plus and 2 Purple Plus or 4 Blue Plus, 1 Purple and 1 Aquablue Special. 2 Aquablues were too white for me but you may have different tastes.