PDA

View Full Version : MP40 slid down and blasted tip of SPS piece

The Punisher
11/29/2011, 10:11 PM
My MP40 slid down the side of my tank and just happened to stop right where it was blowing about 2 inches from the top of one of my SPS pieces (not sure of the name). I found out about this after working a 12 hour shift so I don't know how long it was like that. The piece has one branch that is turning white, but the polyps are still out. Should I remove that branch or wait and see if it recovers?

chefzif
11/29/2011, 10:16 PM
Yes and buy a Tunze:beer:

The Punisher
11/29/2011, 11:18 PM
Yes to what? And I've got 2 Tunzes on the back of the tank.

SBRob
11/29/2011, 11:45 PM
If the polyps are still out I wouldn't frag the tips off. It should color back if you give it some time. I bought a bleached out frag from my LFS but the polyps were still out and now its recovering nicely.

chefzif
11/30/2011, 06:19 AM
I was just stating to use Tunze because vortec are known to come off! That's all and I hope your coral is ok! Chef

wfournier
11/30/2011, 07:34 AM
Yes and buy a Tunze:beer:

Why? so you can get half the water movement you're paying for?

chefzif
11/30/2011, 08:21 AM
No for less noise and and with Tunze they can be set to the direction of your stream of flow you would like where you cannot get from vortech! IMO. All depends on your set up and aqua scape, I have ,owned both but find that when you get grow out of sps the Tunze were better for my flow! Good luck with your vortech they are a good piece of equipment it is all consumers choice! Keep reefing! Chef! Wfournier you should do the research Tunze push as much flow as the vortech but are designed differently, vortech is designed to have a wider stead of flow where Tunze are design to have more directional flow so your cost of running either will be close to the same and still have the same rate of turnover! But of course if you have more than one in the system this will change the amount of flow. fYI

Dog boy Dave
11/30/2011, 01:43 PM
Way to hyjack a thread people. TP if there is flesh left on your coral and it isnt stressed for someother reason leave it alone. It will be fine.

GSMguy
11/30/2011, 03:49 PM
If the flesh does come off cut it down to the healthy bit.

Logzor
11/30/2011, 05:41 PM
Agree, in most cases a health coral will grow back over the dead spots. I had the tips die on a coral in my frag tank. I meant to chop them off but never did, they've since fully repaired themselves.

The Punisher
11/30/2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the comments, I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it does.

Eurobeaner
11/30/2011, 06:31 PM
umm... the vortech cant really SLIDE down if you are using it properly. with the wires tied up on the outside of the tank with the supplied ties, the rubber isolator, it should never "slide down" and keep working. ive seen my wet side fall off when i did not have the pin spacer set properly, but it just fell off, not slide down

karsseboom
11/30/2011, 07:54 PM
No for less noise and and with Tunze they can be set to the direction of your stream of flow you would like where you cannot get from vortech! IMO. All depends on your set up and aqua scape, I have ,owned both but find that when you get grow out of sps the Tunze were better for my flow! Good luck with your vortech they are a good piece of equipment it is all consumers choice! Keep reefing! Chef! Wfournier you should do the research Tunze push as much flow as the vortech but are designed differently, vortech is designed to have a wider stead of flow where Tunze are design to have more directional flow so your cost of running either will be close to the same and still have the same rate of turnover! But of course if you have more than one in the system this will change the amount of flow. fYI

Know to slide off? I have had mine a year and never had this happen. He needs to tie it down properly.