PDA

View Full Version : Should I clean rock from a freshwater tank before adding to my display/sump?

juice79
11/29/2011, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, I was able to get my hands on a bunch of fiji and tonga rock that was in a cichlid tank, however there is some green algae on it. I am a little scared of the bleach route and was wondering the best way to clean or should I just throw in and let the saltwater take the algae off. Thanks in advance!

davocean
11/29/2011, 10:38 PM
Bleach is no big deal, but you could just sit it in the sun and let dry, just takes a lil longer.
My bigger concern would be is did they ever use copper in that tank to treat the FW fish.

juice79
11/30/2011, 08:21 AM
I am sure copper has not been used...I am just concerned of the possible negative effects of putting the rocks in without cleaning the algae off

sage12177
11/30/2011, 08:35 AM
Dead algae will cause your nitrates to go up essentially causing a cycle again. I would sit it in the sun and let it dry, then clean it off as much as possible with RO before putting it in your tank.

Sugar Magnolia
11/30/2011, 09:00 AM
Bleach is no big deal, but you could just sit it in the sun and let dry, just takes a lil longer.

This is what I'd suggest as well - bleach it, rinse it well in RO/DI then dry it out.

davocean
11/30/2011, 10:56 AM
Way back in the day before everyone used live rock we used dead coral skeletons, and rock from wherever.
It would turn brown after a bit, so we would simply dunk in bleach, rinse well, and let air dry, pop back in.
Some people trip on the thought of using bleach, I know, sounds scary, but even w/ my prize stock of fish I would have absolutely no issues doing this.
Your rock will be bright white and free of all cruddies in 30 minutes, rinse well a few times, let air dry a day or two, done.

zigzag1
11/30/2011, 11:30 AM
No way I would add dead rock to my established reef system without pre-treatment. Your rock, being from an old fresh water tank is probably loaded with phosphates - I would bleach it overnight, rinse well, then acid dip it a couple of times 45-60 minute treatments, rinse, then soak in old tank water for several weeks. Test the soak water for phosphates until they get to acceptable levels. I use old tank water to do the final leach on any new dead rock before adding to my tank. Seems to work well, and can test it with your normal phosphate test kit. I do 100% water changes on the leaching container weekly until phosphate levels get acceptably low. The initial acid dips mentioned can help remove phosphates bound to the rock's surface and speed the leaching process. There are many threads on the acid dip method if you search around a bit.

davocean
11/30/2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah, we use a lot of different things that may sound scary, heck I was scared to add just vinegar or baking soda at one time, or vodka.
I saved a couple links on some of the chem treatments we use.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587539&highlight=chlorine+bleach

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914426