PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Return pump on 29 g

Stephen73ta
11/30/2011, 04:08 PM
Hey everyone, I'm almost finished putting together my 29 gallon tank and I need some suggestions with my return pump size. I have a custom built overflow box that I built. It's a coast2coast design with 3/4" drains.. The return plumbing feeds 2, 3/4' returns back into the tank. I was thinking a Mag 5. Any thoughts? The pump only has about 1 foot of head loss. Only issue is that my sump is small maybe 4 or 5 gallons. So I'm also concerned about micro bubbles.

aquaenthusiast
11/30/2011, 10:12 PM
Hey everyone, I'm almost finished putting together my 29 gallon tank and I need some suggestions with my return pump size. I have a custom built overflow box that I built. It's a coast2coast design with 3/4" drains.. The return plumbing feeds 2, 3/4' returns back into the tank. I was thinking a Mag 5. Any thoughts? The pump only has about 1 foot of head loss. Only issue is that my sump is small maybe 4 or 5 gallons. So I'm also concerned about micro bubbles.

I have a 29 gallon biocube, and a custom sump that holds about 9 gallons, at first I used a quiet one 2200 or something I think rated for 45 watts, and it was ok but a tad loud. Plus it was pretty big and I didn't have a whole lot of space to work with. I finally bit the bullet, and went with a Tunze Silence 1073.02. I was sure glad I did, not only is it really quiet, much quieter than my skimmer, but it pushes water 4ft+ with ease. I think with your small sump you going to have to consider a small return pump and this one is small compared to others. It also has 3/4" fittings to match your plumbing. Plus the tunze only uses 30W which is nice on the electricity bill.