PDA

View Full Version : 25 aqua system?

SleepyMike
12/01/2011, 12:50 AM
Hello! It has been a while since my last post. I recently traded for a new 25 gallon aqua system that I am going to be setting up in the near future. I have a hundred gallon now that I plan on downsizing from. I need the space. I have a question about the top of the tank. The top of the display part of the tank measures 14"x21" The opening is 14"x8". My question is can the opening be cut bigger? I have read a few posts about how it is better to have the top more open to allow for better light. Does anyone have an opinion or experience with this? Forgive me if I do not respond to any replies tonight because I am headed to bed soon. Thanks in advance.

SleepyMike
12/01/2011, 09:27 PM
Wow! Has nobody had any expeirence or heard of anybody cutting the opening in the top of the tank bigger? I am thinking of cutting the opening about 2" bigger all the way around. I am planning on using a led light. Either a diy or the one they have at brs. I wonder if the led will be strong enough that leaving the top will not make a difference? Anybody??

teddyzaper
12/01/2011, 09:47 PM
im pretty sure the top isnt for structual support. you could try it, im pretty sure it wouldnt hurt. of course, i dont think that LED would have much trouble penetrating it as long as you cleaned salt creep from it?

SleepyMike
12/01/2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks teddyzapper! I am torn between cutting it or not. I was just wondering if there was a big difference in light quality. Is the light you are using from brs? If so how do you like it?

teddyzaper
12/01/2011, 11:18 PM
no im using an AI nano SOL from the store "aquacave". The LED is AWSOME, almost blinding. Love all the settings, and feels like it will punch the corals in the face.