PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a DIY protein skimmer for 125g?

knight2255
12/01/2011, 12:45 PM
Working on the stand now, led lights in January and would like to find a good design for a diy protein skimmer, preferably a low profile one to put under the tank, inside the stand next to the refugium.

spehhh
12/01/2011, 10:42 PM
http://www.reefworkshop.com/DIY_proteinskimmer1.htm
heres a good one that i used.

and another one that im still using.

http://w3page.com/fishline/gif/ventskim.gif

hope it helps!! post pics of how it went

viggen
12/02/2011, 09:20 AM
For the price of a used skimmer in the classifieds I think that's a better way vs DIY. I purchased a rs250 Euro Reef for $160 shipped just a few weeks ago, I think it would be hard to make a 8in dia 30in tall skimmer with pump for that money.

knight2255
12/02/2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for those, I did see the first one but couldn't find out how many gallons that was rated for. I would need one capable of doing a 125g tank and 40 gallon sump.

If I were to just buy one, would a coralife 125 work for my system?

TropTrea
12/02/2011, 09:51 AM
Generaly when manugacturers rate skimmers they seem to calculate there capicity based on a very mimial stocked system. With your system you basicly have a 165 gallon system so I'd look for a manufacturer rating of closer to 340 gallons double what the manufacturer claims.

In all reality tryng to rate a skimmer by gallons in the system is realy difficult. It is realy the biologicial load that is on the skimmer which is determines if can realy do an effecient job. With variable like your refugium size, the frequency of your water changes, what and how much your stocking the tank with, your feeding practices all play ionto the factors.

Then there is the factor that many experts claim is that you never realy can over skim a tank.

As far as do it yourself skimmers go I think that is one of the hardest DIY prokects to justify. Building one is not going to a lot cheaper than than what you would pay for a pre- made one. The cost of a 12" diameter acrylic tube when you buying a 24" section can be alone close to what a manufacturer charges the wholesaler for an entire skimmer. Remember he is buying a truck load of these tubes and the quantity discounts on hydrocarbon products is fantastic. Then consider the fact that the best skimmers on the market are not a simple tube but have there inlets set at angles makes matchng there effeciency for the DIY'er nearly imposible.

Remember your filteration system on a reef are very important and can end up determining if it will be a failure or turn out fantastic. I do not recommend skimping or trying to cutting corners in this area.

lighthouze08
12/02/2011, 10:20 AM
why don't you get a diy kit from avast marine works? You can put it together yourself and save a bit of money that way, and they are great cone skimmer

knight2255
12/02/2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks lighthouze08, didn't even know about that option.

The avast one says rated for 100-200 gallons....after a little googling it seems cone shaped skimmers are 25% more efficient than cylinders. So would that work for my system?

lighthouze08
12/06/2011, 02:34 PM
i don't see why not, i've been using a skimmer that's rated for 200 gallon on a 75 gallon tank and it's been skimming like there's no tomorrow